Tuesday, January 27, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday #415 - Above the Bridge, Deborah Garner



First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea. It is a place to share the first paragraph or two of a book you are currently reading or hope to begin soon. Join us to get a glimpse of what other bloggers are reading.


Above the Bridge
Deborah Garner
Published- April 2012 by the author



Chapter One

Just before midnight, Paige Mackenzie walked to the door of her room, twisted the cool, metal knob and stepped outside. She glanced around the half-filled parking lot and vacant sidewalk, peered up and down the street at the dark windows of nearby stores and leaned back against the inside of the door frame. Taking a deep breath, she exhaled slowly, a frosty cloud of white linking away from her lips and out into the late October night.
     Looking up, she watched the moonlight dissipate softly across the cloudless sky. It had been that way for several nights. As with each recent evening, she stood under the ceiling of stars and felt a gentle peace settle over her, one of many welcome changes in her life.


So, would these first two paragraphs entice you to read more?  The cover is what caught my eye and the fact that it was a "Paige Mackenzie Mystery". I am drawn, some days, to cozy mysteries. I started this book while away from home last week. I wanted a read that I could pick up quickly and that I would be able to put down as my schedule demanded. I am about 53% into the story. Mostly I like it, but it took an unexpected turn just a bit ago and I wonder where that will lead. That is the fun of a mystery, isn't it?



Stay Busy and Stay Happy


10 comments:

  1. I'd have to read a bit more...it hasn't pulled me in so far.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2015/01/first-chapter-first-paragraph-91.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd need the blurb or several more pages before deciding... glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree.....that cover really pulls you to the book. Enjoy!
    Today I'm featuring A Sister To Honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the look and sound of this one...great cover! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good mystery. This sounds like it will be a good one. I hope you continue to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm wanting to find out more!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good so far Judy -- I'd keep reading. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd have to read a bit more but I do like the way the night is described

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the beginning paragraph, and I'm very curious about how the cover ties in. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the first two paragraphs. I guess I read too many mysteries because I thought it was going to go another way. I'm glad you included the second paragraph. That made me want to keep going.

    ReplyDelete