Monday, January 5, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros #115


Diane at Bibliophile By The Sea hosts this Tuesday meme as a place the share the first paragraph (or a few) of the book you are currently reading or hope to start soon. Join us to get a glimpse into what some other book lovers are reading.

I started this book Monday. It is the January read for my local book club. It was loaned to me by another member. I had been unable to get it at our library, the copies were checked out. I put a hold on it over 3 weeks ago, they emailed me and the librarian said he had requested the library buy the Large Print edition and if they did not he would put in my request to the ILL.  Well, I needed to read this, so the loan was appreciated.  I am enjoying it even more than Half Broke Horses by the same author.



The Silver Star
Jeannette Walls
Scribner 2013

Chapter One

My sister saved my life when I was a baby. Here's what happened. After a fight with her family, Mom decided to leave home in the middle of the night, taking us with her. I was only a few months old, so Mom put me in the infant carrier. She sat it on the roof of the car while she stashed some things in the trunk, then she settled Liz, who was three, in the back seat. Mom was going through a rough period at the time and had a lot on her mind--craziness, craziness, craziness she'd say later. Completely forgetting that she'd left me on the roof, Mom drove off. 
Liz started shrieking my name and pointing up. At first Mom didn't understand what Liz was saying, then she realized what she'd done and slammed on the brakes. The carrier slid forward onto the hood, but since I was strapped in, I was alright. In fact, I wasn't even crying. In the years afterward, whenever Mom told the story, which she found hilarious and acted out in dramatic detail, she liked to say thank goodness Liz had her wits about her, otherwise that carrier would have flown right off and I 'd have been a goner.  

So would you read on after reading the first two paragraphs? It is told in the 1st person, which I kind of like. Especially in this story, it fits well. The story teller is 12 year old Jean "Bean" Wyatt.



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

12 comments:

  1. I love the voice in this opening! This sounds like exactly the kind of story I adore. Thank you for introducing me to this book and this author.
    My Tuesday post features LEARNIN’ THE ROPES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds like a good read and that was one lucky baby! What a great opening for this novel - I hope you enjoy the rest of the read.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the intro and LOVED the book Judy --enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this author and the beginning is good, I'd keep reading. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Glass Castle. This intro sounds good. I'm going to add it to my too read list. I might suggest it for my book club when it is my turn. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and yes, better than Half Broke Horses, which I also liked.

    Thanks for sharing, and I hope you are loving it. Here's mine: “CALL ME ZELDA”

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Half Broke Horses. I'll bet this one is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read anything by this author since reading The Glass Castle. This does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like first person, too, but I'd want to know a little more about the story

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has my interest. It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful opener. I HAVE to read this one. It sounds like the same family dynamics at work as the other two Jeanetter Wall's novels I've read.

    ReplyDelete