Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday - Words from books and blogs




Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted each week by Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog. It is place to highlight words you have discovered in your reading or feature words that you like. Feel free to get creative. If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and go to Kathy's blog and link up.



Earlier this week I was reading the review of The Pocket Wife by Susan Crawford on Laurel-Rain's blog. I read this sentence and did not know this word, I am ashamed to say.


" I had my suspicions about the person who was charged with the murder, but the denouement was definitely stunning. And worth the wait."


de·noue·ment
noun \ˌdā-ˌnü-ˈmäⁿ, dā-ˈnü-ˌ\

: the final part of something (such as a book, a play, or a series of events)

Full Definition of DENOUEMENT

: the final outcome of the main dramatic complication in a literary work

: the outcome of a complex sequence of events




From Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Having served enough time in Altanta, with her volunteer work, Mother has moved to the Georgia coast, to a hamlet of hoary little brick houses on Sanderling Island.

I had seen hoary before, but always thought it meant gray or white haired. However, that description did not seem to fit this sentence. So I looked it up.

hoary
adjective \ˈhȯr-ē\
: very old
: not interesting, funny, etc., because of being used too often : not fresh or original
: having gray or white hair



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy













6 comments:

  1. I've heard that word in speech but wasn't quite sure how to spell it so I've never looked it up. I'm going to try to use it at my next book club meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read The Poisonwood Bible and must have looked up hoary but I had forgotten the meaning. I have come across denouement but couldn't have reeled the meaning off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two good words I can use this week, Jane. I'm surprised I don't know denouement with as many mysteries as I read. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that book, and thought I knew what it meant, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,
    Thank you for your words. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read The Poisonwood Bible too. Wasn't crazy about it like others. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete