Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 12/17/14 Unbroken


Join us at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog to share new words you discovered while reading, or new words you encounters somewhere else.


These words are all from my reading of Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. And in the first 22 pages!




"Though he could be a sweet boy, he was often short-tempered and obstreperous. "

obstreperous  adj   noisy and difficult to control


"And she understood Louie's restiveness."

The sentence made it difficult to know what this word meant. Even using the whole paragraph I wasn't sure. I thought of restlessness, when I first read the word. I guess it is that too.


restiveness  adj( of a person)  unable to keep still or silent and becoming increasingly difficult to control, esp. because of impatience, dissatisfaction or boredom.


"In the 1930s, America was infatuated with the pseudoscience of eugenics and its promise of strengthening the human race by culling the "unfit" from the genetic pool."

eugenics   plural n  the science of if improving a human population by controlled breeding to the increase the desirable heritable characteristics. Developed largely by Francis Galton as a method of improving the human race, it fell into disfavor only after the perversion of its doctrines by the Nazis.



What new or interesting words did you discover in your reading?




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

5 comments:

  1. I would have thought the opposite for restiveness. Those are all great words and remind me I need to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between yesterday's post and this one I am determined to read Unbroken. I learned the meaning and horror of eugenics when I read Bill Bryson's One Summer: 1927. Thanks for your "recommendation" of Unbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, these are great. I'm pretty sure I looked up obstreperous when I read Unbroken as well. Are you enjoying the book? I lot of people rave about it; I must admit I had a hard time finishing. The second half of the book is very dark, and my father spent time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp as a child during WWII, so that might have something to do with it. I liked learning about the Pacific side of WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to see Unbroken over the Holidays.Good words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I've read a couple of books where the word eugenics is used. When I first learned the meaning, I was shocked.

    ReplyDelete