Monday, December 15, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 12/15/14 Blackberry Winter & Unbroken



This Monday meme is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  Join us by grabbing her button and linking up your own What Are You Reading post.
  

Last week I started reading Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio. 
I am loving it. 
From Goodreads:

From acclaimed novelist Sarah Jio, a new "mystery-slash-love story [that] will have you racing to the end"
Seattle, 1933. Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, goodnight and reluctantly leaves for work. She hates the nightshift, but it's the only way she can earn enough to keep destitution at bay. In the morning--even though it's the second of May--a heavy snow is falling. Vera rushes to wake Daniel, but his bed is empty. His teddy bear lies outside in the snow.
Seattle, present day. On the second of May, Seattle Times reporter, Claire Hanson, awakens to another late-season snowstorm. Assigned to cover this "blackberry winter" and its predecessor decades earlier, Claire learns of Daniel's unsolved abduction and vows to unearth the truth--only to discover that she and Vera are linked in unexpected ways.
 

On my kindle:  I will start soon I hope, Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand. 


I have had this one on my list for awhile. A friend recommended it, and now the movie opens on Christmas Day, so I wanted to get the story read. 

This evening, Monday, I have one last Christmas celebration. I play bunco with 7 other women once a month. Tomorrow our hostess extraordinaire, Linette, will open her home so we can visit, nibble and sip and enjoy a quick game. Her home will probably be extraordinarily decorated too. She has such talent. I hope I will be able to get some good snapshots. 



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


6 comments:

  1. I read the Jio book. It's a complicated but such a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Blackberry Winter...and the cover on your copy is so gorgeous!

    Unbroken is one I have postponed, but I am thinking I should read it, too. Thanks for sharing...and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to read anything by Sarah Jio, but she is on my list of writers to check out. Maybe I'll start with Blackberry Winter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really need to read Unbroken.

    Have fun at bunco and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbroken looks like it will be great as a movie. The book was wonderful. Love Jio and will read anything she write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blackberry Winter has one of the prettiest covers I've seen in a while :-)

    ReplyDelete