Monday, December 15, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph - UNBROKEN





 Diane at Bibliophile By The Sea hosts this Tuesday meme as a place the share the first paragraph (or a few) of the book you are currently reading or hope to start soon. Join us to get a glimpse into what some other book lovers are reading.




 Unbroken : a World War II story of survival, resilience,and redemption
 by Laura Hillenbrand
Originally Published by Random House 2010


One
The One-boy Insurgency

In the predawn darkness of August 26, 1929, in the back bedroom of a small house in Torrance, California, a twelve-year-old boy sat up in bed listening. There was a sound coming from outside, growing every louder. It was a huge, heavy rush, suggesting immensity, a great parting of air. It was coming from directly above the house. The boy swung his legs off his bed, raced down the stairs, slapped open the back door, and loped onto the grass. The yard was otherworldly, smothered in unnatural darkness, shivering with sound. The boy stood on the lawn beside his older brother, head thrown back, spellbound. 


Have you read this book?  Would you read on?  I must admit, if I did not know what the book was about, this first paragraph of the first chapter would not tell me much. I am anxious to get started. It has been on my TBR list for over a year.



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

15 comments:

  1. Fascinating...
    I look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to keep reading right now, I love stories set in during wartime although the opening of this book seems a little later. I do hope you enjoy your choice.

    http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely keep reading. The description in this opening draws me in and makes me want to know what happens next.
    I saw an ad on TV this evening for a movie by the same title as this book. It sounds like the plot is similar too. Now I'm wondering if the movie is based on this novel.
    My Tuesday post features FAT CHANCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sandra, the movie is based on this book. The movie is getting a lot of hype and my friend recommended this book several months ago. I am about 6% in and so far it is very good.

      Delete
  4. I've seen the same ads on TV as Sandra. I think it is the same story. So do I see the movie and taint my perceptions of the book, or should I wait and read the book first . . . . Decisions, decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderful story Judy. Can't wait to see the movie which releases on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this book. It was a little long. It would be fun to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one a couple of years ago and then recommended it to my book club last year. IT's one book I think everyone should read. Enjoy!
    Today I'm featuring The Perfect Mother

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, I do want to know more...and with the movie coming, I am at a crossroads: should I read the book first?

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was excellent, but hard to read at times. It sent me researching for more about Japanese POW camps. Unbroken is the perfect title; I would have broken within minutes of the plane crash, Louis survived so much more. The human spirit is simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was hoping to end the year with this one ,but I don't think I will get to it in time. That's okay. There's always next year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking at Unbroken for a while. Trying to decide whether to read it. I like the snippet you've given.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will enjoy this book! I am looking forward to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa - that is some introductory paragraph! I really want to know what they are looking at. I do want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one looks good. It's been on my TBR list. Hope you enjoy it!











    ReplyDelete