Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday Traveling With Pomegranates

Join us at Kathy's blog, BermudaOnion's Weblog to share new words you discovered while reading, or new words you encounters somewhere else.



My words this week are from Traveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor. It is such a well written memoir of the story of a mother and daughter.


vacuity - "Uncovering the need has been like finding an empty room in the center of my house, one I didn't know was there, one I couldn't pass without feeling its vacuity and wondering how it could be filled.

: the state of lacking any real meaning, importance or intelligence
: an empty space

I could discern the meaning of vacuity from the sentence, but it was unfamiliar to me, so I wanted to look it up.


reliquary - "They're over there" she tells me and points to a silver reliquary on the alter.


   :  a container that is used to hold holy objects ( called relics)

   :  a container or shrine in which sacred relics are kept

I goggled reliquary because I had a mental image for the word. This is what I found, and it is what I had pictured. There are other designs of course. Some are like lockets, some more contemporary.
But Sue and her daughter, Ann, are visiting Greece, so I think the reliquary she refers to may look something like this.





What wondrous new words did you find this week?



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



4 comments:

  1. Like you, I was able to figure out the meaning of vacuity but it's always nice to confirm what you're thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, especially the picture. I have a Catholic background and am familiar with reliquaries. I'll have to note this book on my To Be Read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both words are new to me. I find vacuity interesting and I think it could be useful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the photo. Enjoyed reading your words.

    ReplyDelete