Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wondrous Word Wednesday - overheard on CBS Sunday Morning.



Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog host this Wednesday meme. It is a place to highlight words you encounter while reading.


I didn't make note of any words I found while reading this week. But my husband and I were watching  CBS Sunday Morning as we prepared to meet friends for breakfast. CBS correspondent Mo Rocca was giving a brief overview of his upcoming interview of Jon Stewart.  I tried to find a copy of Mo Rocca's comments but was unable to. But he used the word hubris.  Something about Jon Stewart's "humor and hubris"


So I looked the word hubris up in the Merriam Webster Dictionary that is on my laptop. Do you think this word describes Jon Stewart?


hu bris   noun

  : a great or foolish amount of pride or confidence

full definition of HUBRIS

  : exaggerated pride or self-confidence



What new words did you find or hear this week?


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

  



8 comments:

  1. I run into hubris often in my reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I have seen it before, but I will probably notice it more now!

      Delete
  2. I think there is a lot of hubris running around out there. I think of it often in relation to the Icaris mythology. And I know Mo Rocca from his stints on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." He's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I will have to look up the Icaris mythology. I am curious now. I like Mo Rocca 's reporting too.

      Delete
  3. I think hubris fits the sentence about Jon Stewart. I like the word and I believe linking it with Jon Stewert will help me remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will remember it now also.

      Delete
  4. Somehow I have been hearing hubris used a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably I will notice it a lot more now. That often happens once I make note of a certain word, then I see it everywhere!

    ReplyDelete