Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving Dinner Changed Up

Check out all the Weekend Cooking posts Beth Fish Reads. Then join the fun. I don't regularly post to this meme, but every once in awhile I do something "foodie".


I tried a couple of new recipes this year. Our granddaughter is dairy-free and coconut-free and just recently has cut gluten out of her diet. So Thanksgiving was different than usual.

Turkey Breast in the Crock Pot.I saw it on Pinterest, and the pin links to  Jamie Cooks It Up. It is a can of cranberry whole berry sauce, 1/2 cup orange juice and 1 envelope of onion soup mix. Very good. The sauce thickened to make a wonderful, faintly sweet gravy.

We have a family traditional cranberry salad that uses real whipped cream. I made two versions, the regular one for my husband and me, and one without the whipped cream for our granddaughter. Her husband doesn't do jello salad of any kind and the baby(15 months) did not like it either. Oh well, those of us who are original family like it.!

The real winner was a new dessert: I wish I had taken a picture of the delight in our granddaughter's face as she tasted the first bite.  I found the recipe on Pinterest too. You can find the recipe here on my page and then visit the site.  Here are my "tweaks"

2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup melted butter  melted lactose free margarine
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 eggs but you could substitute 1 cup applesauce
1 cup almond flour   gluten free rice flour with 1 tsp xanthum gum added
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk honey, melted margarine, vanilla, eggs until smooth. I used a small hand mixer. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir to blend. I added it in small batches. Pour into a greased 8x8x2 pan, Bake approximately 25 15-20 minutes until center no longer jiggles and top feels cakey. Cool on a wire rack at least until sides pull away from the pan before cutting. (Cutting with a plastic knife helps)

I frosted them before cutting with regular off-the-box Hershey's chocolate frosting recipe, with a few substitutions. It made more than what I put on the brownies. I'll save it for another recipe, then stored them in the fridge.
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, melted (used the lactose -free margarine)
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
I added 1 pinch of sea salt

They were chocolaty, gooey and I topped each brownie with a scoop of Haagen Daz Raspberry Sorbet. 'heavenly'.  I was lucky to find sorbet at our Walmart. The dairy free options for ice cream are not prevalent in this part of the country, especially because our DGD can't do coconut. Many more options exist in larger markets. Our daughter-in-law lives in Phoenix and she has many option for dairy substitution. Our son does a pumpkin cheesecake that she loves and he says is really awesome too.

Today, our granddaughter and family will be here again, while her husband helps my husband hang more insulation and sheet rock in the garage. We will finish up Thanksgiving leftovers. YUM!


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you coped very well with the dietary restrictions. Those brownies sound great and I love the idea of doing the turkey breast in the crockpot. I might try that with a whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely try it with a whole chicken! It would be good, I am sure.

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy Thanksgiving. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh all your desserts sound yummy! I love the idea of the turkey in the crockpot with the faintly sweet tangy gravy! Glad you and yours had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete