Tuesday, November 11, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - Traveling with Pomegranates

Diane at Bibliophile by The Sea hosts this fun Tuesday meme to share the first paragraph or two of your current read. You can even share the first couple of paragraphs of a book you hope to get to soon.


Traveling with Pomegranates : a mother-daughter story 
Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor
Published by The Penguin Group  2009

Sue
National Archaeological Museum - Athens 
 Sitting on a bench in the National Archaeological Museum in Greece, watching my twenty-two year old daughter, Ann, angle her camera before a marble bas-relief of Demeter and Persephone unaware of the small ballet she is performing - her slow, precise steps forward, the tilt of her head, the way she dips to one knee as she turns her torso, leaning into the sharp afternoon light. The scene reminds me of something, a memory maybe,but I can't recall what. I only know she looks beautiful and impossibly grown, and for reasons not clear to me I'm possessed by an acute feeling of loss. 



I selected this book for a number of reasons. I have just begun to read it and have already nodded my head in agreement. It has been a long time since my only daughter was 22 and when she was I was only forty-one, not nearly 50 like Sue, but the feeling were the same. I know I am going to enjoy this read.
What about you?  Does this catch your fancy?


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


8 comments:

  1. I loved The Secret Life of Bees, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this book too. Even though I don't have a daughter, I now have a granddaughter and wonderful daughter-in-law, so I'm sure it would be easy to relate to the characters. I'll add this book to my TBR collection.
    My Tuesday post features THE LEGACY LETTERS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate pomegranate seeds on my salad last night - so the title caught my eye!! I'm not sure this book is up my alley, but I hope you enjoy it.

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intro-martian-andy-weir/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks interesting. I'd keep reading. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that intro and much like you, I was 44 when my only daughter was 22. Bittersweet memories of those days, but much happier memories being made now through the granddaughters she's given me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the mother/daughter aspect. When my daughter was 22 I was 45. She was just finishing up college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this author and her ability to pull me in to feel and see life as she does. I do want to read this one,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love Sue Monk Kidd, I'd read this one. Have a nice week. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do that and my daughter's only 3 1/2. LOL This does sound like a promising read.

    ReplyDelete