Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday - 10/15/14



Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts this Wednesday meme. It is a place to share words we have come across in our reading or to highlight words we like. Join us at Bermudaonion's Weblog and see the words we find.


These two words are from Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.James


"He seems kind, reliable and loyal. He has a avuncular appeal to me.


      adjective   The definition of avuncular is acting in a manner similar to the way       a person’s uncle would act, specifically with kindness and indulgence.

When I looked this word up, I realized I had at some point looked it up before. I did not remember the meaning though, so once again I consulted My Dictionary.


"I spy the green baize of the billiard table. "


         noun   a thick woolen cloth made to resemble felt and often dyed green,             used to cover billiard tables, etc.

I knew what this word was, given the use in the sentence, but I had never heard it before. I asked my husband, a guy who hung out in the pool halls in his younger day, and he did not know it either. 



The following word I found in Dream New Dreams by Jai Pausch. I thought I knew this one, but it didn't fit in the sentence. I was completely wrong. I had it confused with energized.


He didn't look exhausted or enervated, as he had been just an hour earlier.


       adjective   lacking physical, mental or moral vigor



I have missed participating in Wondrous Words Wednesday the last few weeks. I'm glad to be back here. I did pop in a read all the posts last week, but did not get a post up for myself. 



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy







11 comments:

  1. I've seen avuncular more than once but have never looked it up. I think I can use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I remember it the next time I see it in a sentence.

      Delete
  2. Now I would have thought enervated would be the opposite so thank you for enlightening me on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, below, helped me understand my error.

      Delete
  3. Good to have you back, Judy! The prefix "e" means to take out, so enervated makes sense to this word nerd. I think you guys are thinking of innervated.? I've also had to look up avuncular in the past... maybe this time we'll remember it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are right about thinking of innervated. Thanks for helping me understand that.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I didn't know either of your featured words this week.

      Delete
  5. I also thought enervated meant energized. I believe I've used it wrong in the past. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It kind of makes me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one who had it wrong. Misery loves company! :)

      Delete
  6. I see "baize" in many books. When I saw it here, I blanked. Didn't know the meaning. Thanks for all your words.

    ReplyDelete