Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 10-22-14




Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog, It is a place to share new words you have encountered or to spotlight words you love. If you would like to join us, then hop on over to Kathy's blog and add your URL to the Linky.


from The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

"Or rather, it was a productive and fructifying pain.

intransitive verb

: to bear fruit fructify

transitive verb

: to make fruitful or productive


from Merriam Webster Dictionary

"The fire seemed to live, go down or die according to it's own schemata.


noun

pl. schemata 

: an outline, diagram, plan, or preliminary draft 

: PSYCHOL. a mental image produced in response to a stimulus, that becomes a framework or basis for analyzing or responding to other related stimuli
from Your Dictionary  (the one embedded in my browser)



"Their voices blended into a threnody of nostalgia about pain


noun
: a song or poem that expresses sorrow for someone who is dead
plural thren·o·dies

: a song of lamentation for the dead


from Merriam Webster Dictionary



I found these and other in The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, some others in Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, and some in Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  I'll share the others in the coming weeks. 
This morning we get a chance to watch our great grandson. His mom has a dentist appointment. So no reading or even blogging will be done while he is here. He is soon to be 14 months old and a very busy little boy. 


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. I've looked up threnody before so I remembered it. I've never used it, though. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Toni Morrison has great words in her writing.

      Delete
  2. Threnody is completely new and an interesting use of fructifying, I would not have understood that without the meaning there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I will ever use these words, but if I read them again I hope I remember them! :)

      Delete
  3. I love Toni Morrison - her writing is so powerful, and obviously she has great mastery of the language. I'm also reading Half Broke Horses now. Do you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Half Broke Horses and yes I did like it. What a tough git-r-done kinda gal!

      Delete
  4. I learned three new words today, hope I can remember them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope always too. But sometimes I find myself looking them up again at a later date. "sigh"

      Delete