Tuesday, October 28, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Yellow Crocus

 Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this meme. It is a place to share the first chapter and first paragraph or a few, of a current read or one you hope to start soon.


Yellow Crocus
Laila Ibrahim
Lake Union, Seattle - 2014


Chapter 1

April 14, 1837


Mattie lay curled around the the warm shape of her son when the unwanted messenger knocked. She stayed on her pallet, reluctant to end this precious time, and listened to the sound of quiet snores coming from her grandfather. She gazed at Samuel, pressed her nose close against his soft neck to take in his sweet baby scent. She gently wiped the glistening sweat away from his damp forehead and gave him a tender kiss upon his temple. Another intrusive knock struck the door. Mattie got up. Cradling Samuel so close that she could feel warm puffs against her breast, she shuffled across the packed dirt floor. Though she expected this visitor, had anticipated a knock for weeks, she dreaded this moment.
Once she opened the door, her life would be forever divided into before and after.

_________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think?   Would you read on.


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

29 comments:

  1. This intro leaves me very curious. Who is the visitor? Enjoy Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope I will and then review it later.

      Delete
  2. Now that's a teaser! I would read more -- if only to find out who was at the door and why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't tell much of the story, but I hope it will be a good one.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty cover...and GREAT teaser! I'm adding this one too my list!
    Today I'm featuring Accidents of Marriage by Randy Susan Meyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Accidents of Marriage on my TBR list!

      Delete
  4. That opening is really a teaser, lol! I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the story continues to be as good as the first paragraph.

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow, now I must know more! And I love the gorgeous cover, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is beautiful! I hope to finish soon and write my review.

      Delete
  6. I already feel for the woman and am dreading her opening the door too. :-( This sounds like it will be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that I like the story too!

      Delete
  7. I'm interested in why she expected this visitor, but I think would need to know more about the overall premise of the book before deciding.
    Thanks for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mattie is the enslaved wet nurse for the soon to be born Lisbeth Wainwright in antebellum Virginia. I am hoping for a good story, though probably will be sad too.

      Delete
  8. The book's title and cover attracted me, and the opening definitely made me want to know more, but I also dreaded what happened next. I'm intrigued.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment: THE BEARWALKER’S DAUGHTER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added your featured book to my list of books I want to read. I am hoping for a good one here. Time will tell,

      Delete
  9. I'm not familiar with this author, so I'd want to keep reading. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of the author either, but chose the book to fulfill a challenge I joined. Sounds strange, I know, but that's how I roll sometimes. I am hoping I enjoy the story also.

      Delete
  10. It would sound interesting if I were in a historical mood. Maybe when that cycles around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is set in antebellum Virginia. So it is historical. I seem to be reading a lot in that vein lately.

      Delete
  11. Not my genre, but this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would keep on reading. This book has been on my shelf for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it, I finished it the next day. It was really good.

      Delete
  13. What great suspense in that opening paragraph. I also liked the touching mother and baby descriptions. I'd like to know more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good story. I enjoyed it a lot. The writing is good in my opinion.

      Delete
  14. Terrific opening. I wonder what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good, Paulita. I am glad I took the time to read this one.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a profound moment in time, I'm hooked. Have a happy Halloween! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set in pre- Civil War Virginia, it has lots of profound and heart-wrenching moments. I liked it a lot.

      Delete