Tuesday, October 14, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros : Half Broke Horses


 First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea. Join us in sharing the first chapter or a few, of your current read.




Half Broke Horses
A True-life Novel
Jeannette Walls
2009 - Scribner/a division of Simon and Schuster


Those old cows knew trouble was coming before we did.
   It was late on an August afternoon, the air hot and heavy like it usually was in the rainy season. Earlier we'd seen some thunderheads near the Burnt Spring Hills, but they'd passed way up to the north. I'd mostly finished my chores for the day and was heading down to the pasture with my brother, Buster, and my sister, Helen, to bring the cows in for their milking. But when we got there, those girls were acting all bothered. Instead of milling around the gate, like they usually did at milking time, they were standing stiff-legged and straight-tailed, twitching their heads around, listening.
   Buster and Helen looked up at me, and without a word, I knelt down and pressed my ear to the hard-packed dirt. There was a rumbling, so faint and low that you felt it more than you heard it. Then I knew what the cows knew - a flash flood was coming. 


What do you think? Would you read on?  Have you already read this one?
I am reading it so I can discuss with my book club. They read it several years ago before I joined and they have chosen to read another of her books, The Silver Star in January.  I just want to be informed if they make comparisons or references. I an excited to read it.



Until next time.
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. I like the opening and would keep reading. Will look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I'd love to know what happens....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, just as I enjoyed a couple of others by this author. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's mine: “RUIN FALLS”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one by the author, but I did read one of her earlier books. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great opening, and I love the setting. I'll definitely read this book.
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog post about WAR BRIDES.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liked the intro and enjoyed the book as well. Hope you do too Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one awhile back...I absolutely loved The Glass Castle, but wasn't as happy with this one. However, it had such a high bar to live up to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I loved this book. I hope you do too. Have a nice week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Judy, I absolutely loved this book. I'm so glad you are having the great experience of reading it.

    ReplyDelete