Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Happy Read: The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap by Wendy Welch

I am linking this review to the Nonfiction Reading Challenge hosted by The Introverted Reader.


The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good BookThe Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap: A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book by Wendy Welch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As of this date, Goodreads says this edition has 500 pages. It does not, only 391. That being said I read this book in a fairly short time. I really became engaged to the character of this story, mainly Wendy, Jack and the cats, Beulah and Val-Kyttie.

Wendy Welch and her husband, Scottish-born Jack Beck, leave the Snake Pit of her current job to find a quiet, more relaxed life. Their search leads them to a struggling Virginia coal-mining town and a wonderful "old" house that seems perfect. They soon find that they are ill prepared for the logistics of their endeavor , but with grace and good old-fashioned chutzpah they soldier on.

As they struggle to build inventory, they find friends and a few foes that help them in their journey. Wendy Welch tells their story with humor, candor and love. This book makes me want to continue to support my local businesses and wish for a used bookstore, like Tales of the Lonesome Pine, in my hometown.


View all my reviews


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




1 comment:

  1. Hopping over from the Nonfiction Challenge....

    That sounds like a fun memoir. I enjoy books about books and bookstores.

    ReplyDelete