Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday - more from 11-22-63




Each week Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog, hosted this meme as a place to share new words that you have encountered or to spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative. If you want to play along grab the button, write a post, then go back to Kathy's blog and link up with Mister Linky.



I highlighted these words as I was reading 11-22-63 by Stephen King. I love that feature on my Kindle.




inveighed - "The most annoying of all (I have inveighed against it to my clearly bored students time and time again) is the totally meaningless some people say, or some people believe." 

The New Oxford American Dictionary defines inveigh as a trans verb that means -to speak or write about (something) with great hostility.



tonsure - "Inside, two old parties were sitting against the wall while an equally old third party got his tonsure trimmed."

noun - a part of a monk's or priest's head left bare on top by shaving off the hair.

In the story Jake was entering a barber shop, so I figured that the word had something to do with hair, but it was new to me.


What new words did you encounter this week? Or do you just have a favorite word you want to share? Join us at Kathy's blog.



This week  I am reading 3 books. Certainly,I will find a word or two to share with you next week.




Until then,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


8 comments:

  1. I knew tonsure but inveighed is new to me. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across tonsure but inveighed is new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew tonsure too. Shocked I knew a word.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonsure is new to my vocabulary. I didn't know they made that bald spot on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, we could relate inveigh to Kathy's animus, yes? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've come across tonsure before (probably in Pillars of the Earth or its sequel) but inveigh is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy,

    Same here! I know tonsure, but not inveigh.

    There are so many people reading Stephen King at the moment, it seems as though he has sparked something of a resurgence in popularity. I used to read a lot of his earlier stuff, but then he made something of a transition into writing fantasy stories, which is not one of my most favourite of genres.

    I hope that you are enjoying (enjoyed) the book and that all is well with you.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete