Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday - from Blogland and 11-22-63

Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog host this Wednesday meme, where you can share a word you encountered in your reading or just highlight a word that you like. Join us "wordies" and share your new favorite word.


From a review of Bergdorf Blonds by Plum Sykes posted by Kristen BookNAround



celebutante : I don't exactly get the whole celebutante thing.


A young, fashionable, and usually wealthy person who is the subject of frequent media attention.



Origin of celebutante

Blend of celebrity and debutante.


I sort of had this one figured out, but I really like the way is sounds. A little more "now" than debutante. Thanks Kristen.




From 11-22-63 by Stephen King Mr. King uses lots of words that I did not know or were unfamiliar. Some I could not find in any online dictionary.


obdurate : I'd test-fired it in a gravel pit on the outskirts of town, and it seemed fine...but the past is obdurate. It doesn't want to be changed.


adjective
1. not easily moved to pity or sympathy; hardhearted
2. hardened and unrepenting; impenitent
2. not giving in readily; stubborn; obstinate; inflexible



amorphous : He was wearing an old black overcoat that puddled around him like an amorphous shadow


adjective
1. without definite form; shapeless
1. of no definite type; anomalous
2. unorganized; vague
BIOL. without definite or specialized structure, as some lower forms of life
CHEM., MINERALOGY not crystalline

What words did you find in your reading this week?

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've heard celebutante before but didn't realize it's a new, blended word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebutante is new to me too. It's rather clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebutante is fun - it's a portmanteau - a word that combines two other words. I'm happy to say I knew the rest. My word this week is bivouac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celebutante a derivation of debutante, yes, definitely more 'now'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebutante makes total sense :) I'm familiar with the other words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like obdurate and amorphous, I knew these two but it was nice to have a recap of the definitions. Celebutante, love the reminder of 'portmanteau' type of word. thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celebutante is the only one I knew today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like celebutante would appear in People or another entertainer's magazine. Think so?

    ReplyDelete