Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 9/10/14




Its time for Wondrous Words Wednesday again. Join  Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog and the rest of us as we celebrate new and interesting words we have encountered in our reading or in maybe just in our week. Sometimes we share words we just want to highlight.

This week I found a word in my reading ( listening) and one that was new to me in my online game play.



from The Invention of Wings:

I thought now of mother and the question in her letter, "Will I see you again?" It seemed more than the elegiac pondering in an old women's heart.


elegiac  adjective   Your Dictionary says :The definition of elegiac is full of mourning and sorrow.

Websters' New World College Dictionary states:
1. GR or LATIN PROSODY of or composed in dactylic-hexameter couplets, the second line (sometimes called a pentameter) having only an accented syllable in the third and sixth feet: the form was used for elegies and various other lyric poems.
2. of, like or fit for an elegy
3. sad; mournful; plaintive

I am sure the author was using the common definition or #3 from Webster's College .



from 7 Little Words- Sunrise #48


phalanx - a close-knit group : noun   The definition of a phalanx is a community or group of people who are close or united for a purpose.
a group of friends huddled together for warmth.

I am not sure I could use this word in a sentence in my every day language, but I must be a member of a phalanx, After all , I quilt and stitch with a group of really close friends, and we ride motorcycle with a group under the national flag of "Friends for fun, safety and knowledge".



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


5 comments:

  1. I thought I knew what phalanx meant but reading this I didn't really! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought phalanx had something to do with anatomy (maybe it does...). I have seen elegiac shared a few times now for WWW (including my post!). It's a sad, thoughtful kind of word. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you used phalanx to describe the two groups you belong to. You made it easier for me to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come across these but had forgotten the meaning to phalanx.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought of phalanx as being related to the military so I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete