Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7 little words



Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog hosts the weekly meme Wondrous Words Wednesday. It is a place to highlight words that encounter in our daily lives or reading or maybe even feature a word that you especially like. Go to Kathy's blog, grab her button and link back your post that highlights your wondrous words.


I haven't found any wondrous words in my reading this week. I am listening to The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd and there were some interesting words that I heard, but could not go back to look them up.

Just before bed, I sometimes play a game on my Kindle called 7 Little Words. There is a list of 7 one or two word definitions or short phrases. There are tiles of 2, or 3, or rarely 4 sets of letters. You must use the tiles to make up the word that fits the definition. Well, I'm pretty good at scrabble and boggle and crosswords, but this week I came across 3 words I had never encountered before.

1. affected refusal  -  accismus   I looked it up in Merriam Websters = nothing. Finally I found this word, accismus in Wiktionary.  Feigning disinterest in something while actually desiring it.


2. one who thinks he is clever - sophist  noun  Merriam Webster has the definition as 1. philosopher
        2. capitalized : any of a class of ancient Greek teachers of rhetoric, philosophy, and the art of successful living prominent about the middle of the 5th century B.C. for their adroit subtle and allegedly often specious reasoning. 3.  captious or fallacious reasoner


3. gloomy -  adj   lugubrious:  full of sadness or sorrow: very sad, especially in an exaggerated or insecure way.

It was only through the process of elimination that I was able to place lugubrious in the correct line. Ugggh!


Did you learn or come across any unusual or wondrous words this week?



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. I have that game on my phone but haven't played it much. I love that you discovered new words playing it. I think accismus is used a lot in romantic comedies - the definition, not the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accismus is a new one to me but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seven little words sounds like a fun game. I hope it's still around when I'm done chasing my kids everywhere... Great words. I think I've shared lugubrious for WWW - good review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this game and the three new words it gave you. Lugubrious is one of those words I thought I knew but, of course, couldn't come up with the definition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Accismus is new to me but I have come across the other words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all new and interesting words for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accismus--I like it! I'll try to use it when feigning disinterest in cooking dinner tonite....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only word I knew was lugubrious. I've seen it in a few books before.

    ReplyDelete