Sunday, September 21, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Book of Ruth, The Edge of Never, 50 Shades


Sheila at Book Journey host this place to share the books you are reading this week. This week Sheila is also sponsoring a Banned Book Week special. Check out her blog all week to see what is going on. 


I had a pretty good week. We celebrated my DH's 70th birthday. Our granddaughter, her husband and her son were here for dinner and cake. We skyped with our daughter and her husband, and our youngest granddaughter, so that was fun. I stitched with friends on Thursday. I sewed on a quilt top that has been in my UFO bin for awhile, and I finished two books.
My reviews for 11-22-63 and Someday, Someday, Maybe.

This week I am reading:
 Winner of the 1989 PEN/Hemingway Foundation Award  for best first novel, this exquisite book  confronts real-life issues of alienation and violence  from which the author creates a stunning testament  to the human capacity for mercy, compassion and  love. 

I am on page 55,  so just barely started, but once I got used to the writing style, I am enjoying it. 

I also started this ebook on my Kindle.  I have a lot of books on my Kindle and need to read them. This one will help with my Ebook Challenge and to read a book that starts with E. 


Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.

But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?

I am also reading 50 Shades Darker. I do not know if it qualifies for Banned Books Week, but the first book in the series was on the banned books list. I am reading it, not just for that reason , but to complete the series. I have read some  banned books this year it seems. I did not even know it at the time. 

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your DH! Skype is wonderful to keep in touch with family/friends. I did not know the first 50 book is on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole 50 Shades Series is on the banned book list :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought perhaps it was, but did not know for sure!

      Delete
  3. Belated birthday wishes to your husband! Great review of 11/22/63... enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope to complete the two books on my list. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. What a nice week you had...hope this one is just as good.

    My recap: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/09/weekly-book-recap-82.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to some sewing time, some reading time, and some outdoor time. It is supposed to be warm and beautiful.

      Delete
  5. The Edge of Never sounds intriguing. I like the cover! Enjoy reading this week.

    It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is quite compelling! One of the reasons it ended up on my Kindle.

      Delete
  6. I, too, have bunches of books on my Kindle that I haven't had time to read. It is quite easy for them to fall off the radar. It is harder to overlook physical copies of books stacked all over the place. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I seem to add to my Kindle from Amazon and Bookbub, especially when titles are free or less than $5. I'm a sucker for a bargain!!
      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. Id like to read the edge of never, it's in my nook for a while now, it keeps getting pushed back:)

    Here's is my Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Edge of Never is one that has been hanging around on my Kindle for awhile, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Happy Birthday to your DH!

    It's Monday! at Brooke Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed 11-22-63, but I'm a King fan. One of my friends reads mostly dark Southern fiction but even she loved it! She talks about it at book club all the time. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete