Tuesday, September 9, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - 50 Shades Darker




Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesdays. It is a chance to read and share the first paragraph or two of your current read or maybe one you hope to start soon. Join us and grab the button at Diane's Blog, then link back your current read's first paragraph of the first chapter. Then look to see what the rest of us are reading. 


This week I will start 

but I shared the first paragraph back in June of 2013. I did not pick it up again, but it is on the list of my books to read for the Mega Mix II Challenge on Goodreads. It fits the new author section of that challenge. So I will share with you the first chapter first paragraph of another book I am reading to work at completing #3 in the challenge - "Finish a Series".





 I read the 1st one and own the set of 3. I am sharing them with my oldest granddaughter, and before you "gasp", I will tell you that she is married and 29 years old. Here is the excerpt. 



I have survived Day Three Post-Christian, and my first day at work. It has been a welcome distraction. The time has flown by in a haze of new faces, work to do, and Mr. Jack Hyde. Mr. Jack Hyde....he smiles down at me, his blue eyes twinkling, as he leans against my desk.
"Excellent work, Ana. I think we're going to make a great team."
Somehow I manage to curl my lips upward in a semblance of a smile.

So would you read on, have you read the series? 


Today I did laundry and began again to work on a quilt that I started a year ago. It is called Snow Flurries and it is a Crabapple Hill pattern. Lot of small pieces, some embroidery, and some beads. Shades of aqua, green, pink and blue. Very cool colors. Some of my friends who also chose to do the pattern are way ahead of me, one for sure has it completed and a couple haven't started yet. I hope to have some pictures soon. Maybe they will be only "in progress", but you can see what it is starting to look like. 



Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





13 comments:

  1. I have not read the books, but I'm sure I'll see the movie...and then decide. I like the excerpt...and here's mine: “THEN AND ALWAYS”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed things (mostly negative) about E. L. James's books so I haven't read any of them. But I probably will pick up Fifty Shades eventually or see the movie.
    Your quilt sounds lovely. I'm a quilter too. I don't know anything about the Crabapple Hill pattern but will look it up. I'm looking forward to pictures!
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: Retirement Can Be Murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to keep an open mind. There are some deeper thought provoking parts beyond the salacious tone of the book.

      Delete
  3. I need to finish Someday. For some reason, I stopped reading it. She seemed to do the same thing over and over again. It might have been my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first two books in the trilogy and decided not to continue. It's just not a series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't always like the Fifty Shades books (I read them for a book club--probably wouldn't have picked them up otherwise), but I will say that the author knows how to draw people in! I laughed at the part about your granddaughter . . . glad to hear she's a grown woman! :) My son came home from 6th grade one day last year, announcing "We are reading Fifty Shades of Grey in reading class!" I dropped my cup of coffee. It turned out they were reading a middle grades' book about the Civil War called "Shades of Grey." He must've added the "Fifty" to the title just having heard my book club friends and I talking about those books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, not for me either but I'm glad you and your granddaughter can share. I'm an old quilter but don't do much anymore. I'd love to see the pattern and your interpretation. I still love to look, feel and read about quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the first one, but I wasn't thrilled with it. I'm not sure if I'll continue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit I read the entire 50 Shades series. Despite the questionable writing, I did enjoy the story in the first book. It was unlike anything I've ever read before and Anastasia's dilemma is certainly intriguing to think about. However, I thought the series went downhill from there...I finished the series just to see how things turned out with the characters, but I was glad when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the series because young women (not readers) in my life were raving about it. After I read all three books I went back to them and said if you that they were good, read this..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still got them on the shelves ... just that other books always screamed 'me' first. Will read them one day though.I've heard a lot of extremely mixed reviews even amongst my friends form 'loved it and read it 5 times' to '1/2 book read and no more'.
    The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might read the first and I'd love to see your quilt.

    ReplyDelete