Tuesday, September 30, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Dream New Dreams


Every Tuesday,Diane, at Bibliophile By the Sea, hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. She shares the first paragraph or ( a few) of a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. Head over to her blog and link up a post of the first chapter first paragraph of your current read.


Today I will start to read this one. It has been on my reading list since I first discovered that Jai had written a book. I loved The Last Lecture by her husband, Randy Pausch.


Dream New Dreams - Jai Pausch
Crown Archtype , an imprint of Crown Publishing
Division of Random House  2012


Living the Dream

"So I can pick up the block and throw it?" Randy asked incredulously. He was learning about computer graphic research at The University of North Carolina, where I was working while studying for my PhD exams in comparative literature. Randy was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh researching virtual reality and human-computer interaction, Standing in the virtual reality lab, he looked like a thirty-seven-year-old kind playing a Wii video game, game controller in hand. Instead of viewing the computer-generated world on a television mounted on a wall, he was looking at a screen inside a specialized helmet. Nowadays, many Americans are familiar with holding a device to make objects or avatars move within a video game. But fourteen years ago, this technology was not yet mainstream, nor was it a game, rather it was an experiment to see how compelling virtual reality could be. In this demonstration , throwing the block was not part of the program's functions, but Randy didn't know that, and he was asking a million questions. I had noticed his inquisitiveness earlier in the morning as we toured each part of the virtual reality lab. Walking beside him, I could tell he was genuinely interested in our research, soaking it all in. It was obvious to me that he was smart. What else would you expect of a Carnegie Mellon professor? But Randy was surprisingly down-to-earth. When I had first met him that morning, and in previous e-mails, he insisted I call him Randy, not Dr. Pausch. He had no need to stand on ceremony or demand acknowledgment of his title, which was a very refreshing change for the norm in academia.  I felt instantly comfortable with him even after having only just met him. And I wanted to get to know him better. 


This is a really long first paragraph, but would you read on? Do you know Randy Pausch's story? Have your read The Last Lecture ?



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy










13 comments:

  1. I've heard of The Last Lecture, bu I never read it myself. I can't imagine losing my husband, but having watched my mom after my dad dies, I know it isn't always easy moving on. This sounds like it could be a great book. I hope it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read his story, but now you have piqued my curiosity. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE CORN MAIDEN”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about this one. I'd want to read a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy Pausch sounds like a fascinating man. The opening makes me want to learn more about him.
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: SUMMERTIME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The opening is a little to Telly for my taste. I prefer getting right into some action. Mine is at
    :http://suziequint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know his wife had written a book! Will be curious to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is The Last Lecture the book of the lecture given by the professor who had a very short time to live? If so, I watched the video of that lecture and SOBBED....and laughed...and nodded about how wise he was. I would definitely keep reading...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read The Last Lecture yet. I've heard about it and am interested. I think I'd read that before this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know Randy's wife had written a book. What a nice way to revisit the family of that amazing scientist. He was such an extraordinary human being. Thanks for sharing it and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about this book or the author at all. Sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I am familiar with Randy Pausch's story. It pulled at my heart strings as I lost my mom and a brother to pancreatic cancer:( I'd read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember Randy Pausch's story but hadn't heard of this book. It looks really interesting. I'll be looking forward to your review. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd keep reading. I've read "The Last Lecture". Have a nice week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete