Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros 11-22-63




Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first paragraph or two of a book she is currently reading or plans to read soon. You can link up to her Tuesday posts with the first chapter and first paragraph of your current read. It is a great place to get a taste of a new book, or explore further one you may already have on your bookshelf and haven't yet opened. See what the rest of us are reading, come join us. 

This week I started, finally: 
11/22/63
Stephen King
Scribner a division of Simon and Schuster


I have never been what you'd call a crying man.
    My ex-wife said that my "nonexistent emotional gradient" was the main reason she was leaving me (as if the guy she met in her AA meetings was beside the point). Christy said she supposed she could forgive me not crying at her father's funeral; I had only known him for six years and couldn't understand what t wonderful giving man he had been (a Mustang convertible as a high school graduation present, for instance). But then, when I didn't cry at my  own parent's funeral - they died just two years apart, Dad of stomach cancer and Mom of a thunderclap heat attack while taking a walk on a Florida beach - she began to understand the nonexistent gradient thing. I was "unable to feel my feelings," in AA-speak. 

So, would you read on? Have you already read this one?  Are you a Stephen King fan?




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy







10 comments:

  1. I loved this book so happy to see your intro from it --enjoy Judy --great pick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those words non existent emotional gradient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those words non existent emotional gradient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one was my favorite book by King...even though it was hefty and it took me a few days to finish, never mind the chore of holding it (lol), but I couldn't stop! Loved it.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I I haven't read King since college days (ages ago), but this one has been on my kindle for way too long. I really need to read it soon. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm undecided about this book. As a native Dallasite, I vividly remember the Kennedy assassination and the ugly press about my home town following the event, so I'm reluctant to revisit that. However, it sounds like the story is more about one man's reaction. Since Stephen King is such a good writer, I'll probably read this eventually.
    My Tuesday post features The Gods of Second Chances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of those books I keep thinking about reading, but haven't. I normally don't enjoy Stephen King, but this may be an exception.
    Today I'm featuring The Girl Who Came Home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely would continue reading. I can see why he is such a popular author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been planning to read this book since it came out. I really like the opening. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do want to finish this book!

    ReplyDelete