Tuesday, September 16, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Intros Tuesday - The Book of Ruth

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this meme. It is a place to share the first paragraph or two of a book you are currently reading or hope to start soon. Go to Diane's blog and link up your first paragraph. Then check out the first paragraph's that the rest of us have posted. 




The Book of Ruth
Jane Hamilton
Anchor Books/Doubleday
1988



     What it begins with, I know finally, is the kernel of meanness in people's hearts. I don't know exactly how or why it gets inside us, that's one of mysteries I haven't solved yet. I always tried to close my eyes and believe tat angels, invisible in their gossamer dresses, were keeping their loving vigil. I learned, slowly, that if you don't look at the world with perfect vision, you're bound to get yourself cooked. Even though I may still be looking through the dark glass, even though I haven't finished learning the lessons, I'm the only one who tells the story from beginning to end. It can't be Ruby, because he has been spirited away and born again. Neither love nor prayer can bring him back. May can talk herself blue in the face and no one will hear. By rights this belongs to Justy, because he inherits the earth for a short time, but he doesn't quite count yet. He'll remember the taste of pecan balls, exactly how the powdery mash got stuck on the roof of his mouth, the color black maybe, and the color and shape of Ruby's teeth. They were rotten with sweets. 



I haven't started this book, but it has been on my radar for a long time. During a recent visit to my sister's I noticed it on her bookshelf in her guest room. I asked if I could borrow it and of course she said I could.  I don't know a lot about it other than it is a first novel, it was a selection of Oprah's Book Club and to quote the Boston Sunday Globe, "A sly and wistful, if harrowing, human comedy. Hamilton is a new and original voice in fiction and one well worth listening to."




Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

11 comments:

  1. I read this with my book club several years ago... a classic Oprah "downtrodden women" selection. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a long time since I read this one...I enjoy Hamilton's books. One of my favorites was A Map of the World, which was made into a movie. And so was The Book of Ruth.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SAFE KEEPING”

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been 10++ years since I read this but remember it was an Oprah pick which I use to enjoy. hope u do to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this book but haven't read it. It sounds interesting.
    Here's the link to my Tuesday post: Tumbleweeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think this one is for me, but hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being the contrarian I am, I tend to avoid Oprah's picks on principle, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    Mine's at http://suziequint.blogspot.com/2014/09/tuesday-teaseropening-unveiled.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comedy is always good Nice details in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this book but I have a funny memory about it: I was in a big book store, standing near a table with this book on it. A woman I did not know picked up the book and shoved it into my hands. She told me I HAD to read it. She kept talking to me about the book and followed me all over the store. She insisted I read the book. I finally got in line with the book in my hand and she left the store. I put the book back and still haven't read it. I don't know what's in it but, based on that woman, it must be good. I look forward to reading what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an interesting start, I wouldn't guess a comedy from the opening paragraph. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that beginning. Yep, I did read this one with the first Oprah Book Club. I would love to reread it. I rushed trying to keep up with the timed date. I wish Oprah could share all those shows again. I like the ones where she served a meal. Then, discussed the book.:)

    ReplyDelete