Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 8-20-14

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog. You can share new words that you've encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative!. If you want to play along, grab the button at Kathy's blog, write a post and then go back and link up using Mr Linky. 






I found a couple of words in my reading last week and so far this week. Not many though.


1. apse - N.  a large semicircular or polygonal recess in a church, arched or with a domed roof, typically in the east end and usually containing the alter.

from French Masquerade - a short story by Paulita Kincer

"They climbed to the second floor and Joanna thrust him forward into the apse where the stained glass windows soared above him so he could be bathed in the blue light."

I have not been to Paris and I do not think this is particular to Paris, but I still can't picture it in my mind. So I found this image on the internet.

Then I went back to the story to remember where Joanna and her Argentinian sailor actually were. At Sainte-Chapelle, a 13th Century Gothic chapel . This is what I found and now it all makes the image understandable. Gorgeous! I glad I searched further and discovered this image.





2. dichotomy - N.

Dichotomy is defined as a sharp division of things or ideas into two contradictory parts.

from Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

"The dichotomy of the image was something Tully knew she'd always remember, but from the moment she got out to the plane until she reboarded the flight for home five days later, she had precious little time to think about imagery."

I should know this word, in fact I know I have looked it up before, but I don't use it and so I had forgotten its exact meaning. I knew the di- had to do with two, so I could sort of figure it out. But I needed to look it up again.




Until next time.
Stay Busy and Stay Happy






6 comments:

  1. I knew apse was in a church but I didn't know the definition of it was so specific. I haven't been in too many churches that have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apse is a new addition to my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words and beautiful pictures. I can happily say I know dichotomy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd forgotten apse. We used to attend a church that had an apse. No gorgeous stained glass windows though. Love those pictures you found.

    ReplyDelete