Sunday, August 17, 2014

Reading Reading Reading

It's Monday! What Are You Reading is hosted every Monday by Sheila at Book Journey. This is a very active meme and one sure to entice you to add to your list of books to be read. Join us at Sheila's blog and check out what other bloggers are reading this week 


This week I was able to do a lot of reading. My husband and I spent 5 days camping in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Our plan was just to spend time together, doing nothing or at least not much of anything. We stopped at Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City SD and purchased a bottle of my favorite wine, Red Ass Rhubarb. We drove to Sheridan Lake and looked around the camping sites. I looked for chokecherries but did not see any, although my sister and sister-in-law have picked some recently.  And I spent lots of time reading! 


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I won this book in a giveaway on the Cozy Chicks blog a couple of years ago. My copy is signed by the author and I also received the next installment, Copycat Killing.  Although I found a couple of typos it did not distract from my enjoyment of the story. This is the 2nd in the Magical Cats Mystery series and there are some references in the story about the solving of the first murder, but this book can stand alone. I may, however have a bit of insight into the murder in the first book, Curiosity Thrilled the Cat.


Kathleen Paulson, is a librarian and owner of two previously feral cats Owen and Hercules. I should probably say, she is owned by the cats. Owen and Hercules are magical cats. Owen can make himself invisible and Hercules can walk through unopened doors. Kathleen talks regularly to her cats and they "talk" back. Their abilities will help Kathleen find some clues to the death of a former and much loved teacher in Mayville Heights, MN. Agatha Shepard's death has Kathleen and her friends, Maggie, Ruby and Roma searching for the cold-hearted killer. Of course, there is professional help too, from handsome Detective Marcus Gordon. Kathleen finds that keeping secrets is never a good idea when there has been a murder.

If you like animals, cats in particular and quirky lady protagonists, then read this fun cozy mystery. I liked it a lot and it was a good read as my husband and I camped in the Black Hills of SD last week. I am on to read the next one, The Copycat Killing by Sofie Kelly and then I will search out the 1st in the Magical Cat series



I will be linking this post to several memes today. Since the short story and book by Paulita Kincer are on my Kindle, I will add them to the Ebook Challenge hosted by Sarah at Workaday Reads. And for the first time, I will link up on Paulita's blog, An Accidental Blog for her Dreaming of France meme. 



I read this short story by one of my favorite authors on my kindle. 

I can't review this short story on Goodreads, they don't show it as a possible read. So here is short synopsis of a short story. 
Joanna's husband Simon has the flu. He quit kissing her on the lips. He turned away from her in bed in a fit of coughing. He moved into the spare room, and after a month he packed a bag and moved out of the house. Their only son Ben was going off to college, what could she do. So her friend Sylvia talked her into go back Paris to drown her sorrows in wine, museums and men with accents. Will the sights in Paris fill the void or will she realize she can't go back to the Paris that she remembers from her younger days? It is a short story with a happy ending, and I feel a prelude to the story that became I See London I See France

I See London I See France
I See London I See France by Paulita Kincer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Caroline Sommers finds herself suddenly alone with her kids when her husband of 15 years walks out in a huff. She begins to wonder what happened to the happy fulfilled women she was before she married and before she became a stay at home, homeschooling mom to three. She remembers feeling most alive when she was traveling, and impulsively sells her minivan ( after all it was bought with an inheritance from her grandmother) and packs up Jack, Maggie and Henry at travels to Europe. As she shepherds her kids to London, to Scotland then to Paris and Provence she finds herself wondering. Should she chose love or lust in the arms of a European man she meets in Scotland? Should she try to rekindle the unrequited love of an older Frenchman she met while in Provence 16 years ago as a college student? Or should she give the father of her children and the man she truly loved once a second chance?

Paulita Kincer gives voice to many of our concerns as wives and mothers. She does it with humor, and insight into Caroline and Scott's life. She touches on the importance of taking care of yourself, but knowing that the needs of your children are first.


This next week I hope to finish Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and start on Copycat Killing by Sofie Kelly.
And I plan to ready the camper for our next outing, do some sewing and maybe, just maybe clean out a closet or two!  Maybe!



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



3 comments:

  1. How great to read two of Paulita's stories. I've read French Masquerade, but not either of her books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, Thanks so much for reading and reviewing my books. I'm so delighted that you enjoyed them. I haven't figured out how to put a short story on Goodreads, so I appreciate your review on your blog. And thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sleight of Paw looks like a good read. I hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete