Tuesday, August 19, 2014

First Chapter, First Paragraph Tuesday Intros

Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros as a place to share the first paragraph (or two) of the first chapter in a book you are currently reading, or hope to start soon. Since we were camping and I was not able to participate last Tuesday, I will share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book I finished while camping.

I See London  I See France
Paulita Kincer
isbn 978-1-304-69888-9


    "I've had enough, Caroline." He tossed the words down the stairs like an empty laundry basket.
      Obviously, that was a subtle signal my husband Scott needed some time alone. It's not like I immediately followed him up the stairs to continue the fight I'd started with a few well-placed comments about the leak in the bathtub not fixing itself.

You can read my review HERE.


And this week I am reading:

Firefly Lane
Kristin Hannah
St Martin's Griffin

They used to be called the Firefly Lane girls. That was a long time ago-more than three decades-but just now as she lay in bed listening to the winter storm raging outside, it seemed like yesterday. 
 In the past week ( unquestionably the worst seven days of her life), she'd lost the ability to distance herself from the memories. Too often lately in her dreams it was 1974; she was a teenager again, coming of age in the shadow of a lost war, riding her bike beside her best friend in a darkness so complete it was like being invisible. The place was relevant only as a reference point, but she remembered it in vivid detail; a meandering ribbon of asphalt bordered on either side by gullies of murky water and hillsides of shaggy grass. Before they met, that road seemed to go nowhere at all; it was just a country lane named after an insect no one had ever seen in this rugged blue and green corner of the world.


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy









14 comments:

  1. That intro made me smile. I know plenty of women who pick a fight with those words. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing excerpts from two books. They both sound good to me.

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/08/first-chapter-first-paragraph-72-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, I have Firefly Lane but not the other, however I would certainly have fun reading both. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Paulita...and Firefly Lane was another one I loved. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: “FALLING INTO PLACE”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title of the first. They both sound like good books. Enjoy! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by the title of the Kincer book, as well as the opening sentences, and I'm wondering what happened in "the worst seven days of her life" in the Hannah book. Both sound like stories I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features KATIE & THE IRISH TEXAN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about I see London I see France and should finally read it. Peggy @ The Pegster Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I like the title! I read Firefly Lane years ago...so long ago that I can't remember what I thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I go to Paulita's blog I say I want to read her book. It needs to come off the to-read list and into reality. I love the first paragraph. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I See London, I See France sounds like a great read!

    I hope you enjoy Firefly Lane. It's one I've been wanting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to try Paulita's book. I do like the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like Firefly Lane. Kristin Hannah really gets you into the story fast.

    ReplyDelete