Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday Peony in Love


I am sharing words from Peony in Love by Lisa See today. If you want to join in the fun link up with Wondrous Words Wednesday and  Kathy at Bermuda Onion.  It's always fun to learn new words or to share words you really like. 


1. unfilial


It was naughty, but I had lived fifteen years without having committed a single act that anyone in my family could call unfilial. 

Unfilial means unlike, or unsuitable to, a loving daughter or son


2. somnolence

His elegance and somnolence reminded me of a cat: long, slim. perfectly groomed, knowledgeable and very contained.

a state of drowsiness or sleepiness    from The American Heritage Dictionary


I'm not sure about the description as used in this sentence. I need to look in another dictionary. I was unsuccessful in finding a more appropriate definition, so I guess Peony's "heartthrob" was elegant and sleepy! 

3. obsequious


"From the afterworld she looks to your future", the lesser concubine said, in an obsequious tone. 

The definition of obsequious is showing too much willingness to serve someone or something. from Webster's New World College Dictionary

or exhibiting servile compliance; fawning    from The American Heritage Dictionary




There are several more interesting words from Lisa See's novel. I will share more next time. 




Stay Busy and Stay Happy



5 comments:

  1. I thought I knew what unfilial meant but I was quite right since I thought it only referred to sons. Thanks for setting it straight for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somnolence is one of my favourite words - it sounds like it means :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that last word in many novels. Now I know the exact definition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love obsequious. It is a useful word and a beautiful word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great words, I especially love obsequious, you see that word quite often.
    Sharon @ Sharon's Book Nook!

    ReplyDelete