Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 7-16 more We Are Water


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Kathy at Bermudaonion's Weblog. It is a place to share new words that you have encountered or to spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative. If you want to play along, grab the button at Kathy's blog , write a post and go back and add your link to Mr. Linky.


All the definitions here are from the New Oxford American Dictionary .  As I read We Are Water on my Kindle, I looked up the words that were unfamiliar to me. In these sentences, I did not think is was obvious what the definitions were.


1.   fecund - adj.  producing or capable of producing an abundance of offspring or new growth.

"At the center of the composition stands the Tree of Life, lush and fecund


2.   specious -  adj.  superficially plausible, but actually wrong.

" That's kind of a specious argument, isn't it?"

3.   hubris -  n. excessive pride or self-confidence.

"Or is that hubris on my part, too?"


Did you find any interesting words this week?




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy






6 comments:

  1. I knew hubris but the other two are new to me. I really like specious and want to figure out a way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come across fecund and hubris but specious is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of fecund, and knew hubris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, the hardest word would be specious. Like all your words especially fecund.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew hubris and should have know fecund... it's one of those that I keep seeing and keep forgetting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Specious is one of those words that I see and think I should know it, but when I see it in a sentence like your example, I realize I don't know it.

    ReplyDelete