Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The Secret Life of Bees The Book

The Secret Life of BeesThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book. I was a bit skeptical in the beginning. A young girl obviously uncared for by her father and so in need of a mother's guidance and love.

But the story gets so much better. Set in 1964, just at Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act, the story deals with issues of racial unrest, unconditional love,acceptance and the true meaning of family.

I fell in love with Lily Owens from the opening chapter. She is spunky and awkward, yet street smart and vulnerable. The Boatwright sisters made the book for me. What wonderful examples of womanhood, love and solidarity.

If you haven't already done so, read this book. My next plan is to see the movie. It must be very good, how can you go wrong with Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Hudson.


View all my reviews




Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




1 comment:

  1. I loved this book too. I have yet to view the movie.

    ReplyDelete