Tuesday, July 15, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Intro Tuesday Peony in Love 7-15-14




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. Here she shares the first paragraph or ( a few) of a book she is reading or thinking about reading soon. Join us by clicking on the link above and adding your post of your first chapter first paragraph of your current read. It's a good way to get the feel of a book you have only heard about and have not had the opportunity to actually check out.

My First Chapter First Paragraph Intro today is from Peony in Love by Lisa See.


Two days before my sixteenth birthday, I woke up so early that my maid was still asleep on the floor at the foot of my bed. I should have scolded Willow, but I didn't because I wanted a few moments alone to savor my excitement. Beginning tonight, I would attend a production of The Peony Pavilion mounted in our garden. I loved this opera and had collected eleven of the thirteen printed versions available. I liked to lie in bed and read of the maiden Liniang and her dream lover, their adventures, and their ultimate triumph. But for three nights, culminating on Double Seven - the seventh day of the seventh month, the day of the lovers' festival, and my birthday - I would actually see the opera, which was normally forbidden to girls and women. My father had invited other families for the festivities. We'd have contests and banquets. It was going to be amazing.

I have been wanting to read this one since I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. And I am participating in the What's in a Name 2014 challenge, so this read will fulfill the #4 of that requirement - read a book with a forename or names in the title.


Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty cover! I haven't read any by Lisa See, but I've heard good things. Hope you enjoy the book!
    Today I'm featuring Losing Touch by Sandra Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read this one, but I want to. I've enjoyed everything I have read by Lisa See so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fun challenge! I hadn't heard of this one, but I really like the sound of the beginning! I hope you enjoy the rest of this one :) Thanks for sharing!
    My Intro
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I would read this, but I love the cover. I thought perhaps the story was about a girl named Peony from the title. Enjoy your book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to read a Lisa See book, and was disappointed that I didn't get to see her on her book tour through California recently. I don't know if I would start with this book though; I should read her first book to get a feel for her style I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read this author, but liked the intro! I remember Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, but never got a chance to read it. Will be interested to hear what you think.

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-monday-monday-elizabeth-crook/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another author I've heard alot about but haven't read yet. It sounds like it could be a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful beginning! I definitely would keep reading. Hope you truly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this one and liked it, but my favorite is Snowflower and the Secret Fan -- good intro --enjoy Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy. i have not read this one. Loved Snowflower.

    ReplyDelete