Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Today on Wondrous Words Wednesday hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog, I am sharing words found while reading Animal Dreams. Some of these words were easy to discern because of how they  were used in the sentence. Others are words that I see used a lot in other works and I needed to feature them again. What Wondrous Words did you discover recently?  Visit Kathy's blog and link up to share your new to you or interesting words.




Animal Dreams
Barbara Kingsolver
Harper Collins 1990


These first 2 definitions  are from www.yourdictionary.
stratum:      noun  
The definition of a stratum means a layer or a section, or a division of the atmosphere or ocean, or a section of society.

" In high school, Hallie and I were beneath Trish's  stratum of normal conversation."


prescience:   noun   Prescience is defined as the power to know something before it happens or to the ability to tell the future.
  
 "It has so much living weight to it, such prescience, it felt like something that was someday bound to happen."

The following definitions were found at Miriam Webster online dictionary.

water-miscible   adjective  capable of being mixed; specifically ; capable of mixing in any ratio without separation of two phases

" Black Mountain Mining has been running sulfuric acid, which is a clear, corrosive, water-miscible acid, through their tailing piles to recover extra copper."

effete  adjective   : lacking strength, courage  or spirit
                            : resembling a woman
"  I stopped and reconsidered this effete analogy. Teenagers who won't use condoms aren't impressed by the need for an umbrella."

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





4 comments:

  1. I read that book years ago and probably didn't bother to look up those words. Watermiscible is totally new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my all-time favorite authors but, I have yet to read Animal Dreams. It's been sitting on my shelf too long, The new words are familiar to me but stratum and effete are the only two I could define. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watermiscible < new to me but not now thank to you!

    ReplyDelete