Tuesday, May 6, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros The Thirteenth Tale




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image, and share the first paragraph or two of the book you are reading this week.


The Thirteenth Tale  
Diane Setterfield
Washington Square Press/Simon & Schuster, Inc.
2006

                                                


THE LETTER
It was November. Although it was not yet late, the sky was dark when I turned into Laundress Passage. Father had finished for the day, switched off the shop lights and closed the shutters; but so I would not come home to darkness he had left on the light over the stairs to the flat. Through the glass in the door it cast a foolscap rectangle of paleness onto the wet pavement and it was while I was standing in that rectangle, about to turn my key in the door, that I first saw the letter. Another white rectangle, it was on the fifth step from the bottom, where I couldn't miss it.  

 I am probably one of a very few who have not read Ms. Setterfield book. I read lots of reviews and all have been very positive.  I have had it downloaded onto my Kindle for over a year. I started it Saturday and it is great. The writing is so descriptive, it puts you there in the bookstore with Margaret Lea and her father and the books.

So, have you read The Thirteenth Tale or  would you be tempted to try it based on this first paragraph?



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books either. Thought surely I was the only one. I would love to start this one immediately.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in among those who haven't read her. This one sounds very good, though, so that may change!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep reading, I've wanted to read this book too. thanks for stopping by today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you aren't disappointed by this one, what with all of us who have read and loved it. It's easy to get too high of expectations in those instances. I loved every minute of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read The Thirteenth Tale or the author. The opening didn't grab me but the cover sure did. I think I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that intro. I would go on.....

    Here is my Intro post!

    AND

    Here is my teaser post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read it either! I don't think this is my cup of tea…
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-cutting-teeth-julia-fierro/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one either but it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this several years ago, and really loved it. I do hope you carry on enjoying it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I've read this one. I can hardy remember it though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I haven't read it, but as you, heard good things. The opener does not pull me in, but any story set in bookshop is a winner.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the intro and liked the book as well --enjoy Judy

    ReplyDelete