Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday 4.30.14

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Kathy at Bermuda Onion's Weblog each week.  It's an opportunity to share new and different words you have encountered in your reading or to highlight words you particularly enjoy. 



defenestration- noun  

1. throwing of a person or thing out of a window. 
2. a usually swift dismissal or expulsion (as from a political party or office)


Last week I encountered this word in a game I play on facebook. I had to look it up. Who knew there was an actual word for throwing someone out a window.  The detective says, "guess we know what the murder weapon is-- defenestration!"

Then while listening to The Collectors by David Baldacci, the bad guy, Jerry had one of his goons throw a poor little maid out a window. 



This word comes from my current read: The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard.

avuncular - adj

1. The definition of avuncular is acting in a manner similar to the way a person's uncle would act, specifically with kindness and indulgence. 
      A person who treats everyone with kindness is an example of an avuncular person. 



"There they were, the avuncular blessings and banes of her life: Chase, who got more handsome every year...; Bobby, muscular and taciturn, .....;Meryl, with his kind, canny eyes and a girth that came from Belle's fried chicken..."



There are a few more wondrous words in this book, I will share them next week. Did you find any wondrous words this week while reading?



Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy









4 comments:

  1. Avuncular did NOT mean what I thought it did!! Great words - the type that I think I should know but don't- thanks for sharing. My wondrous word this week = fractals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice words. I had heard avuncular but didn't know the meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew avuncular, but not the other word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard defenestration used in political terms but I couldn't define it. It's interesting that it means to throw someone out the window! lol

    ReplyDelete