Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Wondrous Words from The Goldfinch and another's blog

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.


from The Goldfinch   chapter 104  audible 17:02 hours


" ..real age, as I came to see from the genuine pieces that passed through my hands , was variable , crooked , capricious, singing here and sullen there...."

ca·pri·cious

     adjective\kə-ˈpri-shəs, -ˈprē-\
: changing often and quickly; especially : often changing suddenly in mood or behavior
: not logical or reasonable : based on an idea, desire, etc., that is not possible to predict

This word is not unfamiliar to  me, I read it a lot in books and understand it in context. But I don't use it in my everyday vocabulary. So I wanted to look it up and to make sure that I knew precisely what it meant and when and how to use it. 



an·thro·po·mor·phic

    adjective\ˌan(t)-thrə-pə-ˈmr-fik\
: described or thought of as being like human beings in appearance, behavior, etc.
: considering animals, objects, etc., as having human qualities

This word was new to me. I found it while reading BookNAround's blog about things that make her put a book back on the shelf. 

Did you come across any new words this week Or maybe 
just some words that you felt needed further clarification?




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your nice words :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use capricious, usually about the weather, but occasionally about people.

    Anthropomorphic is a word that comes up in theology where it's generally considered an bad thing -- anthropomorphizing god or animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew capricious because I love the blog Capricious Reader. I think I've seen anthropomorphic but wasn't sure what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the word capricious too. Last week I was reading Flora and Ulysses, the latest Newberry winning book for children. The author used the word a lot in the story. At first I thought it was too big a word for elementary students. I asked my 9-year-old granddaughter about it. She didn't think it was too big. She even knew what it meant. How about that!? All this grandmother can say is I'm glad the kids are doing so well with these wondrous words. Wish I were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,

    Half and half with your words this week, so average and 'could do better', sums it up nicely.

    Capricious, I know very well. However anthropomorphic I might well have guessed at, although I don't think I came that close to getting the definition to be able to use the word in conversation, with any sense of authority or confidence.

    I see that 'The Goldfinch' won an important literary prize this week, so I shall be sure to add it to my list, although at over 780 pages long, I shall definitely need the time and patience to want to start reading it ...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27032533

    ReplyDelete