Monday, April 14, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Comfort Food




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. It's a good way to check out what others are reading and maybe find a gem you have missed in the past. Some are reading new titles, some of us are reading older titles that we missed the first time around. Come join  the fun, but be warned.....your TBR stack may grow to toppling over!



This week I finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbrosky. You can read my review here

Mr Busy and I finished listening to the Camel Club by David Baldacci, but not before returning it to the library to have the discs polished or cleaned or whatever they do to them. They suggested it was our reader by I  don't think so. We did get it finished and now have started on the next in the series.
In Washington, D.C, where power is everything and too few have too much of it, four highly eccentric men with mysterious pasts call themselves the Camel Club. Their mission: find out what's really going on behind the closed doors of America's leaders.

The assassination of the U.S. Speaker of the House has shaken the nation. And the outrageous iconoclasts of the Camel Club have found a chilling connection with another death: the demise of the director of the Library of Congress's rare books room, whose body has been found in a locked vault where seemingly nothing could have harmed him. 

A man who calls himself Oliver Stone is the groups unofficial leader. Staying one step ahead of his violent past and headquartered in a caretaker's cottage in Mt. Zion Cemetery, Stone, drawing on his vast experience and acute deductive powers, discovers that someone is selling America to its enemies one classified secret at a time. When Annabelle Conroy, the greatest con artist of her generation, struts onto the scene in high-heeled boots, the Camel Club gets a sexy new edge. And they'll need it, because the two murders are hurtling them into a world of high-stakes espionage that threatens to bring America to its knees.

From an ingenious con in Atlantic City tho the possible forgery of one of the rarest and most valuable books in America history, to a showdown of epic proportions in the very heart of the capitol, David Baldacci weaves a brilliant, white-knuckle tale of suspense in which every collector is searching for one missing prize: the one to die for...

The one is a bit different, but promises to be a true Baldacci thriller. 

I also read and finished the April read for my book club. I did post a short review. But I am anxious to see what the rest of my book club thinks.
I started reading a book that I have had on my shelf for almost a year. It is one that a fellow book club member brought to a meeting to share. It also will fulfill part of the Mega Mix II challenge that I am doing on Goodreads.

Shortly before turning the big 5-0, boisterous party planner and Cooking with Gusto personality Augusta "Gus" Simpson finds herself planning a birthday party she'd rather not-her own. She's getting tired of being the hostess, the mother hen, the woman who has to plan her own birthday party. What she needs is time on her own with enough distance to give her loved ones the ingredients to put together successful lives without her.

Assisted by a handsome up-and-coming chef, Oliver, Gus invites a select group to take an on-air cooking class. But instead of just preaching to the foodie masses, she will teach regular people how to make rich, sensuous meals-real people making real food. Gus decides to bring a vibrant cast of friends and family on the program: Sabrina, her fickle daughter; Troy, Sabrina's ex-husband; Anna, Gus's timid neighbor; and Carmen, Gus's pompous and beautiful competitor at the Cooking Channel. And when she begins to have more than collegial feelings for her sous-chef, Gus realizes that she might be able to rejuvenate not just her professional life, but her personal life as well. . . .


I am about 1/3 of the way through it and I am enjoying it. I can see Gus and her daughters quite clearly. I have a daughter just her age, almost 5-0. 

I should be busy with these two selections and of course, I am still working through The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I know it seems like maybe this is a chore to read, but the real reason it is taking me so long is the format, not that this book is not a great read. 


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been reading some good ones. I haven't read any of them. Come see my week here. Happy reading and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Collectors looks good, I haven't read David B before but I am intrigued by his books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice week for you. The Astronaut Wives Club looks good.

    Have a wonderful week, and thanks for stopping by my Comfort of Fences post.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good books all, in my opinion. I have The Astronaut Wives Club on my wishlist. Will check the others out further--enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Astronaut's wives club looks fabulous :) Fun and interesting. I've picked it up at my library before but never have taken it home.

    Happy reading this week! :) The Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've had a great week. I am interested in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete