Tuesday, April 29, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro The Scent of Rain and Lightning.


Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile By The Sea hosts this meme where we can share the first paragraph or two of our current read, or one we expect to start soon. It is a great place to check on some new titles, and get an idea of the first chapter.  Join us at Diane's blog every Tuesday and link your first paragraph of the first chapter.




1
June 9, 2009
Until she was twenty-six, Jody Linder felt suspicious of happiness.
She hated that about herself, because it tended to sour some otherwise pretty damn fine moments, but this was Rose, Kansas, after all. Only the year before, a pencil tornado had dropped down and killed three people only a few miles from her hometown. A tornado, when the sun was shining! In the winter, there were ice storms. In the summer, there were grass fires. At all times, people she knew went bankrupt, lost their homes, their ranches, their jobs. Or, they died just when you least expected them to. A person could, for instance, belong to a nice family living an ordinary life in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and on some innocent Saturday night, violent men could drop in like those tornadoes and turn nice people into the dead stars of a Truman Capote book. Such things happened. That wasn't paranoia. It was a terrible fact that Jody knew better than anybody - or at least better than anybody whose father had not been murdered when she was three years old and whose mother had not disappeared the same night. 

I started this book on Friday night. I am nearly 1/2 finished. It is really good and I am enjoying it a great deal. It will complete an item in the What's in a Name 2014 challenge sponsored by Charlie at The Worm Hole. This is the gateway post. . A book with a weather element in the title. What do you think? Would you continue on?




Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

11 comments:

  1. Wow! It's so poignant. I would love to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has a point. Great cover too. So glad you've found a book to fall into. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about this one since I first heard about it. I think it was the title that first drew me in. I hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I would keep reading. The intro hooked me right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know you're enjoying the book. I liked the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the intro/teaser. I would pick it up!

    Here is my intro/teaser post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent beginning. I lived many years in Kansas so that really appeals to me. By the way, I have one more to go on my What's In a Name? challenge. It's royalty and I know I can get it done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great intro that really drew me in. I would definitely keep reading.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that intro and want to know more --hope you enjoy it Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo....I read this one quite some time ago! I loved it so much I made my book club read it. It is one of the few books the entire group loved. Hope you love it as much as we did!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    (I have a review online if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this book sounds like a gripper! thanks so much for stopping by today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete