Tuesday, April 15, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros Wildflower Hill




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.



Touchstone /Simon & Schuster
July 2011



ONE
Beattie:  Glasgow 1929

Beattie Blaxland had dreams. Big dreams.
Not the confused patchwork dreams that invade sleep. No, these were the dreams with which she comforted herself before sleep, in her trundle bed rolled out on the floor of her parents' finger-chilling tenement flat.  Vivid, yearning dreams. A life of fashion and fabrics; and fortune, of course. A life where the dismal truth about her dismal family would fade and shrink and disappear. One thing she had never dreamed was that she would find herself pregnant to her married lover just before her nineteenth birthday. 


Would you read on?  The copy I have on my nightstand has a different cover than the one I show here, but it has been on my TBR list for a couple of years.  I will read it as part of the Mega Mix II Challenge on Goodreads Love of Reading group. I hope to start it this week.



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I think I would definitely keep reading just to find out whether she is happy, being pregnant at 19! Considering her lover is married I'm going to go with no, though! I do really like the cover though and I hope you enjoy it!
    Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a good weekend!

    My First Chapter, First Paragraph & Teaser

    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I would definitely go on reading......

    Here is my intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cover! I'd definitely keep reading this one! And the store has captured my interest, too!
    Today I am spot lighting The Unfinished Child by Theresa Shea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the cover and the setting, so would give this a try. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover caught my eye too and then when I ordered from Amazon, the cover was different. Not bad, but not the same. I am looking forward to reading it just the same.

      Delete
  5. That's a great opener. I would certainly read on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last sentence of the intro definitely gets your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, I would have to read this book. Pregnant by a married lover must make her feel awfully sad and like the second best or something. Plus, I've never heard of a family described as "dismal." Made me laugh for some reason. Are they boring or what? I've seen this title. Remember wanting it. Had forgotten all about it. Will make a note of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you grabbed me with that intro, from the sadness and wistfulness of a world of dreams to the shattering final line. I love that cover, too.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE BOOKSTORE”

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would keep reading. To be at that age, with all your expectations and dreams, and to find out you are pregnant by another woman's husband . . . Sounds like Beattie's story will be an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the beginning and the cover art is gorgeous. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  11. In 1929, being an unmarried mother would have been very difficult indeed. Interesting, I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the intro and such a pretty cover too-enjoy Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the cover too, but I also like the sound of the story. I hope it's one of those girl-does-good-in-spite-of-the-odds stories. Enjoy Judy.

    ReplyDelete