Tuesday, April 8, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros: Heaven is for Real





Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading. Or in my case, just finished!








Title: Heaven is for Real
Author: Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent
Publisher: Thomas Nelson 2010


Prologue


The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smokey barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light. But for my family,
 the July Fourth weekend  of 2003 was a big deal for other reasons. 

My wife, Sonja, and I had planned to take the kids to visit Sonja's brother, Steve, and his family in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. It would be our first chance to meet our nephew, Bennett, born two months earlier. Plus, our kids, Cassie and Colton, had never been to the falls before. (Yes, there really a Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls. )  But the biggest deal of all was this: this trip would be the first time we'd left our hometown of Imperial,  Nebraska, since a family trip to Greeley, Colorado, in March had turned into the worst nightmare of our lives.  


Have you read this book?  Would you read on from this prologue if you knew nothing of the subject of the book?  I had, of course, heard of this book, read some excerpts and it was again recommended by members of my book club. Since the movie comes out the 17th of April, I decided I should read it.



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to know what the worst nightmare was about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great intro -- I think I've read something about this one, but not sure its for me. Enjoy Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this one, and had it on my list for awhile, but I haven't yet read it. Hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read this one, I hear it is going to be a movie. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading it. I'm like Colton's dad. I listen very closely at every word that comes out of Colton's mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about this one but I'd like to know more so I'd keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard of this book but this is my first experience with an excerpt. I like It and want to read it now. I didn't know there was a movie coming. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would read on. The writing style makes it very interesting and me too, I want to know what's happened there!My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an intro/teaser!! I would definitely pick it up....

    Here is my intro post from Perla!

    AND

    Here is my teaser post

    ReplyDelete