Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday ~ The Telling Room

Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by Diane at  BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy. The following words are from one of my current reads, The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese by Michael Paterniti.


peregrinations:  noun from the verb peregrinate which means to travel especially on foot. 

pg 8  " The newsletter was a revved-up reflection of Ari's peregrinations, and such was never meant to be literature."


simulacrum: noun   image or representation; or an insubstantial form or semblance of something  TRACE. 

pg 32   A story is time itself boxed and compressed. It is the briefest entertainment and simulacrum of real life. 


lingam:  a stylized phallic symbol that is worshiped in Hinduism as a sign of generative power and that represents the god Shiva. 

pg 35    Constellated on the beach in front of the hotel was a whole galaxy of overripe topless European bathers and lingam-hugging Speedos that made us feel acutely American.

Peregrinations I should have been able to know had something to do with the foot, but I wanted to know for sure.  Simulacrum is pretty well defined in the sentence preceding it's usage  and I was sure I knew what the author was describing in lingam-hugging Speedos, but the word was absolutely unknown to me!


All  definitions come from the online version of Merriam Webster dictionary. The dictionary embedded in blogger doesn't much like "constellated", "lingam" or "Speedos"!!

Did you discover any unknown words to describe known objects or ideas in your reading this week?



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



6 comments:

  1. When I saw peregrinations, I immediately thought of Peregrine Falcons. Now I'm wondering if their name derived from that word. Lingam-hugging Speedos make me feel acutely American too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter swims competitively, so I've seen my fair share of lingam-hugging Speedos here in the states. (Yes, they still wear them.) I've seen simulacrum before and didn't remember- perhaps if I focus on the root "similar" in there, it'll stick this time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are new words to me :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of these words, thanks! for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,

    Whilst I am not sure that this is a book I would enjoy, the synopsis is definitely intriguing and I should be interested in knowing what you thought of it.

    The only one of your words this week that is new to me, is 'lingham' and yes, we do still wear Speedos over here in the UK. In fact, one of the heart throbs amongst the teenage contingent (at least until he announced to the World he was gay a couple of months back), is Olympic diver Tom Daley, and he still definitely wears lingham-hugging Speedos!

    It was interesting to discover that the male lingam, is coupled with the female yoni, in Indian society.

    Thanks for an interesting post this week, I really enoyed my visit.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good words but for some reason I really like simulacrum. It sounds good plus the crum part at the end makes it easy to remember.

    ReplyDelete