Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wondrous Word Wednesday March 2014


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

Here are three of my favorites new-to-me words from some of my recent reads. 


Currently I have ebook on my Kindle, an audible book on my Kindle, a print book on my nightstand and an audio book in the player near my sewing room.Whew!



The Land of Painted Caves by Jean A Auel

lambent and peripatetic

Lambent is an adjective. Webster's New World Dictionary gives several definitions. 
1. playing lightly over a surface; flickering; said of a flame. 


"The fires lambent flames cast a comforting ruddy glow beyond the confines of the hearth." 


Peripatetic is an adjective also. Webster's New Word Dictionary has 2 definitions.
2. walking or moving about, not staying in one place; itinerant.

" After the first ceremonies that marked the initial coming together, the peripatetic summer life of foraging, exploring, and visiting would begin."


It is lot easier to make note of new and interesting  words from a print book. The ebook is fairly simple too, because I can highlight it and go back later. But the audible and audio books are more difficult. 


Quiet: The Power of the Introvert in a World That Won't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. 

Vitriol is a noun. The definition of vitriol is a sulfate of metal, or a very bitter feeling expressed in writing or speaking.


"Introverts maybe hesitant to cause disharmony but they should be equally worried about encouraging vitriol from their partner."




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I've always wondered about vitriol. Also, the book about introverts by Susan Cain sounds very interesting- I'm married to one. Have you liked it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those words are new to me. I wouldn't have guessed either of them correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know lambent but have come across the others. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lambent is knew to me. I can use that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have known "Peripatetic". I don't know why, but I can't stand to just stand in one place for more than a few minutes. It drives me nuts. I have to keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If love what you said about having four books going at the same time. You are my kind of reader! Thanks for the good words this week.

    ReplyDelete