Saturday, March 29, 2014

Non- Fiction Reading Challenge #5 and #6


I participated in this challenge in 2013 and wanted to do it again. When I signed up at The Introverted Reader the link did not link back to my sign up post. So I added a section to my 2014 Challenges page. I will keep a list of the nonfiction books I read and link back to my reviews. Hope this works. Challenges keep me focused!  You can join any time through out the entire year, so why not link up and see how many non-fiction books you can read this year.?



The Prescribed BurnThe Prescribed Burn by Laryssa Wirstiuk
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

We meet Veda in this collection of 15 short stories. I sort of feels like a novel because it involves the same main character and her family and friends. The stories are not told in chronological order, I am not sure why the author did that, but it doesn't detract from the reading at all. It's a bit like sneaking a peek in someones diary at various times and you just open it to a random page and sneak a read.

Veda's story is told with candor and open-mindedness. She is a young woman experiencing unthinking adults in her life, accepting her body as a young teen, her first boyfriend, being on the pill, having a job, trying to get her life in order ( whatever that means).
I enjoyed the reading of these short stories.

Laryssa Wirstiuk tells it like it is or at least was for her probably. To be able to go through these painful times in our lives and then write about it is a wonder to me. I hope Ms. Wirstiuk continues to write and be published. I especially like the bonus materials in this book. There are 15 color photographs, a crowd sourced story that is very interesting, book club discussion questions and creative writing exercises.  





The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small TownThe Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by John Grisham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As non-fiction goes, this was ok. It was full of facts, but Grisham managed to make it sound like a story too. I was getting really upset with the way the judicial system was handled in Ada, Oklahoma. I hope that isn't the norm. My brother who has a degree in Criminal Justice and works in the system in our home town would say it most often works as it is intended.

John Grisham was a lawyer and he makes a statement at the end of the audio, explaining how he researched the details and how the Innocence Project works. I was glad to hear about that.




Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


No comments:

Post a Comment