Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - 3/4/14






Every Tuesday Diane at  Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros.  You can share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book you are reading or thinking about reading soon. Then click over to Diane's blog and link up with others who are sharing from their current book. Care to join us?


My pick today is a book that is this month's selection of my F2F book club. I tried to borrow it from our library, but I couldn't get a copy in time to read it for our March get together. So I logged on to Amazon and spent my birthday gift certificate. It should come in the mail today or tomorrow. 



We are going to share wine and cheese at our meeting. Hopefully a selection of unusual cheeses will be available.



1991
“It sat silently, hoarding its secrets”  This particular story begins in the dusky hollows of 1991, remembered as a rotten year through and through by almost everybody living, dead or unborn. I’m sure there were a few who had it good, maybe even made millions off other people’s misfortune, but for the rest of us there wasn't a glimmer. January dawned with tracers over Baghdad, the Gulf War. It was a bad year for Saddam Hussein and the Israeli farmer (Scud missiles, weak harvest), the Politburo of the Soviet Union ( dissolved),and the sawmills of British Columbia( rising stumpage fees, etc). An estimated one hundred and fifty thousand people died in a Bangladeshi cyclone. The IRA launched a mortar attack on 10 Downing Street, shattering the windows and scorching the wall of the room where Prime Minister John Major was meeting with his cabinet. (“I think we had better start again, somewhere else”, said the prime minister.)  In the Philippines, Mount Pinatubo erupted, ejecting 30 billion metric tons of magma and aerosols, draping a thick layer of sulfuric acid over the earth, cooling temperatures while torching the ozone layer. 



I am hoping this book is uphill from here. I am hoping for an interesting read regarding fulfilling a dream and some really great cheese. 



Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

11 comments:

  1. WOW, sounds quite different. Not sure I'd choose this book, but I'll be looking for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting.I'm not sure about it either, but the book club selected it. I need to make sure I attend the meeting that selects next years reads!! ;0)

      Delete
  2. Not a very rosy beginning...hope it gets better!

    My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/first-chapter-first-paragraph-52.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure where this one goes. I'd have to look at the book description!
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival so I can read the book cover. Sometimes when someone else suggests a book, it is hard to know if you will like it or not.

      Delete
  4. 91 got off to a rough start, but July was great 'cause my youngest son was born! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have wonderful memories of 1991. I can't seem to remember anything memorable, personally at least. :)

      Delete
  5. That was an interesting way to start a story. I'm sure all readers, like me, were thinking about their own 1992. Hope the rest of the book is good and that you get you special cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the cover and probably not a topic I would be very interested in, but the writing style I think is easy to get into.
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll watch for your review as I have no idea from the opening paragraph what this story is really about. enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete