Tuesday, March 25, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Intros Tuesday - The Astronauts Wives Club, Lily Koppel




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website, link up with Mr Linky and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading. Today I am sharing the current month's read from my F2F  Book Club. 


The Astronaut Wives Club, A True Story   Lily Koppel 
  Grand Central Publishing, a division of Hachette Book Group, Inc. 
June 2013

1
Introducing the Wives

They had endured years of waking up alone, making their kids breakfast, taking them to school and picking them up, fixing dinner and kissing them goodnight, promising that Daddy was thinking of them all the time. There had been lonely nights when the fell asleep wondering how they were going to get by on their husbands' measly pay for another month. During tours of duty in World War II or Korea or both, their husbands had nearly become mirages. Navy deployments had taken their men away on six - and nine-month cruises to the far corners of the Earth. They'd each wait for half a year imagining their man, trying not to forget what he looked like, only to have him come home hungry and tired. They'd miss him even before he left. 

This year we have read several non-fiction books and this is another one. I am looking forward to reading this story. The cover is so cool , with all the full skirted shirtwaist dresses and pearls. Hands posed in laps, ankles crossed. I was in high school when the space program was just beginning and a young wife myself in the sixties and seventies. I still have the copy of Life magazine that was published when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. The space program was a really big deal!. 




Until next time 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy





















12 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I wonder how they coped compared to how women today would cope. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard mention of this book once or twice, but can't remember in what context. It sounds like it will be interesting. I'm always curious about the women "behind" the men. My mom was a military wife, and my father was far from an astronaut, but I have a lot of respect for the spouses of military men and women who hold down the fort while their loved ones are overseas for long stretches without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this one...thanks for sharing. Here's MY TUESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the cover. This should be interesting. I went to high school with Neil Armstrong's son. After we had both graduated from high school, Armstrong and his wife divorced. Maybe their marriage was better when he was gone all the time. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your book club enjoys the book and has a lively discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting intro....

    Here is my intro post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the cover straight away as well. I still think it is amazing what the Space Programme in them days achieved. They were the real pioneers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the intro and bet this would make a good book club book. Hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover; like the intro enough to read more --hope u love it Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this one sounds really good. I'd keep reading. Have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete