Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.


I found no new words in my reading this week. So I logged on to Your Dictionary, already loaded on my laptop and in my toolbar to find a word of the day. Instead I found an article about words that defined 2013. So I am sharing them there today. I chose the Social Issues article.

Social Issues

2013 brought forward several new challenges in our society, on the media and on websites that connect us more and more each day. The news has covered a number of stories on young adults choosing to be agender and redefining how we see male or female. A more self-focused generation literally can’t get enough of themselves with the selfie and is focusing on a YOLO, live life today lifestyle. The goofy, sexy, all over the Internet interest in twerking brought us many highly-viewed videos (often of Miley Cyrus!) on the television and the web.

1. Agender - someone who does not identify with the male or female stereotypes.

2. YOLO - stands for "you only live once," meaning you should live your life to the fullest.

3. Selfie - a photo you take of yourself, often with a cell phone camera.

4. Twerk - to bend over and dance with a rhythmic, repetitive motion.

I have decided I am definitely not up on words that the rest of world thinks are awesome. 
I had not heard of #1 or #2, of course I knew #3 and #4.   There are other catagories on the website, check it out if interested Your Dictionary Defines 2013 with 10 Trending Words.

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

8 comments:

  1. I'm kind of embarrassed to say I knew selfie and twerk. Agender is new to me but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,

    Whilst I may know some of the new words which seem to be infiltrating their way into everyday language and even into respected dictionaries, I by no means recognise them all, nor want to.

    It is hardly surprising that we are turning out a generation of uneducated and monosyllabic individuals, when almost every word or phrase can be distilled into just a few characters as a tweet, or grunted very quickly in what they laughingly call a conversation!

    I struggle to imagine just how young people pass any basic literacy examinations, unless 'social speak' is now a whole new subject which I don't know about!

    Great post, really makes you think about the social issues.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome sentiments, eloquently put! My son prides himself on knowing big words and avoids social media- hence, he is dubbed a nerd.

      Delete
  3. I knew all of these, perhaps because I have teens and tweens in my house! We were just discussing YOLO yesterday morning- along with terms like "adrenaline rush" and "making smart choices." :) Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Julia - I knew them all partly because of my 15 year old granddaughter. (Actually the 8 year old knows these things too.) I actually like keeping up with the latest words and slang. What amazes me the most are the acronyms like YOLO. I find them clever but I know its all the shortcuts for texting purposes. Good post Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew some of these words, but not all of them. Great theme for WWW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew them all, since I have teenage grandkids. They keep me "hip" LOL!

    Of all four, I like YOLO the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I hadn't come across YOLO before, considering how much time I spend on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete