Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Stupefied, Amazed and Bewildered.



Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.




Now, I don't think I am stupid, but when I heard this word while listening to The Goldfinch, I had to make note of it. I have never before heard this form of the word . This is the only definition I can find anywhere. I am stupefied, amazed and bewildered. 

"Was this who my dad had left us for? In stupefaction I looked back at Mrs Barbour again."
Chapter 36 at 7:30:25  of The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.  

definition of STUPEFACTION

:  the act of stupefying :  the state of being stupefied

Related to STUPEFACTION

Synonyms
amazementastonishmentshockstartlementsurprise

7 comments:

  1. I can't say I've ever used stupefaction, but I'm pretty sure I've read it. In less I had an over-educated character, I'd probably stick to the verb form. I like your word "bewildered" better, all in all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I've ever used that word. I don't think I've heard it often either but do hear stupefied from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard that version of the word either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard this form either, but it's kind of fun. I'm sure my kids will give me cause to use it over the next few days of this snow storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think "stupefaction" nicely sums up the whole country's response to this insane winter!

      Delete
  5. A different version of the word for me also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used the verb form, "stupefy," and the adjective form, "stupefied," in conversation. I knew that there was a noun form, "stupefaction," but I have never used it, in speech or writing, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete