Tuesday, February 18, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Sixth Man




Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph or maybe two of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph (or2) of the current book you are reading.


This week I am still reading (listening to) all the same books that I posted about last Tuesday.  The Goldfinch, Quiet: the Power of the Introvert in a World That Can't Stop Talking, The Land of Painted Caves. I am not making much progress. I could blame the weather, but actually it doesn't matter to me. I could blame my husband, he has been really attentive lately and always in the same room as me. But I could get up and move too I guess. I could blame the Olympics for focusing my attention to the television instead of books, probably the closest to the truth. I have also been sewing quite a bit, and while I did that, Mr Busy and I both listened to The Sixth Man by David Baldacci. So I will share the first 2 paragraphs of the prologue of this audio book.

"Make It Stop!"
The man hunched over the cold metal table, his body curled tight, eyes screwed shut, his voice cracking. He sucked in each breath and let it out like it would be his last. Through headphones a fast blast of words filled his ear canals and then flooded his brain. An array of sensors was strapped into a heavy cloth harness that was buckled over  his torso. He also wore a cap with electrodes attached that measured his brain waves. The room was brightly lit. 


This first bit of audio almost had me screaming to "make it stop". I do not like this kind of image. But as I found out, it was essential in understanding the story, and it was short lived, only used in the prologue.  So would you read or listen on?  I am glad I did, though at first listen I may not have.  Maybe sometimes we need to give a book a chance. Of course, I love David Baldacci's writing so that may have urged me on.

 Until next time,
Stay Happy and Stay Busy

9 comments:

  1. Sounds very intense. I've liked books by this author before, so I'd keep going. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I would read it rather than listen...LOL. Thanks for sharing, and here'sMY TUESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I would read on. I like the title - The Sixth Man as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have weeks like that sometime.. sigh. That's a very intense intro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like that intro and Baldacci never seems to disappoint. Great pick - enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Baldacci's books and love Ron and Orlagh as narrators!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baldacci is a writer my husband and I both love too. I agree that these two paragraphs might put me off, but, because of the author, I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this opening, though I don't do audio books at all. Would continue reading.

    ReplyDelete