Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday #1



Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.

These words I found while reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/J.K. Rowling. This book is on my kindle and I highlighted a lot of words as I read. 


desultory    adj 1) lacking a plan, purpose or enthusiasm.
                        2) occurring randomly or occasionally
"From time to time there came outbreaks of desultory clicking as the watchers filled the waiting time by snapping the white canvas tent in the middle of the road, ......"

This passage was referring to photographers or paparazzi, so I think the author meant the 2nd definition, but the first would apply too. 


inscrutable   adj  impossible to understand or interpret

"The boyfriend fled into a rehab facility, but the police remained inscrutable; those who had been with her on the evening before her death were hounded;...."


Schadenfreude  n., pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune. 

"She became a morality tale stiff with Schadenfreude, and so many columnists made allusions to Icarus that Private Eye ran a special column."


 In addition to many new words there were also unusual words for familiar objects, as is usual when the settings are in Britain or Australia.  I 'rather' like seeing those words. 

I recommend The Cuckoo's Calling if you haven't read it yet. I will probably share more of the new to me words next week. 



Until next time, 
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

6 comments:

  1. I know what Schadenfreude means when I hear it but it's a word I never think to use. Great words today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My book club is planning on reading Cuckoo's Calling later this year- so glad you like it and that you're giving me a little prep for the vocab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the opposite of Kathy. Schadenfreude is the only one I didn't know. It's a great word but, I too doubt that it will roll off my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew inscrutable but not the others.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2014/01/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the first two words but I enjoyed reading your definitions. Schadenfreude is a terrific word to know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading it too at the moment and really enjoying it. I love 'schadenfreude'. It's delightfully naughty, and something we have all done once, at least, in our lives. Hee, hee.

    Fur Earwig

    ReplyDelete