Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Where Are You Reading? and a Book Club finish - The Cuckoo's Calling

Where Are You Reading is a challenge sponsored by Sheila at Book Journey.  She also sponsors a Monday meme title It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  Both of these events compliment one another. I have been participating in the It's Monday meme for the last weeks of 2013 and will continue in 2014. I have decided to join the Where Are You Reading challenge because it seems a fun way to see all the settings of the books I read all year. Sheila suggested a Google Map and I set one up, but may not be able to share it. If I cannot, I will add a page to my blog and keep a list going there.  I have my fingers crossed that I can link up the map. We will see.

I just finished my first book of the new year The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. This book is set in Britain. Here is my review from Goodreads.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was the selected read for January of my F2F book club. I wasn't sure what it was about, but the other members were all atwitter with it being written by J.K. Rowling. I have not, nor do I intend to read the Harry Potter series, so I wasn't impressed one way or the other.

Cormoran Strike, is an injured veteran of the war in Afghanistan, returned to Britain to heal and get on with his life. Now he is a "homeless" ( having been kicked out of his super gorgeous girlfriend's apartment) and trying to make a living as a Private Detective.

Recently hired by a prominent lawyer to investigate the death of his sister, a supermodel, Cormoran proceeds in unconventional ways to gather facts and talk to witnesses. His recent temporary secretary is of great help to him. Robin has always secretly wanted to be a detective, since stealing her brother's Hardy Boys books as a child.

This book kept me interested and on the edge of my chair for the entire read. There was good character development and I never figured out what really happened to Lula Landry until the very end when Cormoran reveals his theory and conclusion to his client.

Although the language was a bit rough at times, the vocabulary in general was interesting. I looked up a lot of words I did not know prior to reading this. I like books that teach me new words.

I would recommend to all my friends who like mysteries and crime genres.


View all my reviews

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy



ps I am linking this to 2014 Ebook challenge hosted by Sarah at Workaday Reads.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this book. I did too, though the vulgar language was over-done.
    :)

    ReplyDelete