Sunday, January 12, 2014

What's In A Name 2014 #3 and Where Are You Reading? Wyoming


What's In A Name 2014 is a challenge that is hosted by Charlie at Worm Hole. You can click on this link to get to the sign up post and learn a bit more about this favorite of mine challenge. This books fulfills the # 3  part of the Challenge, a title with a number written in letters.

I am also linking this review to the Where Are You Reading Challenge hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.You can either click the link above to check out Sheila's blog or here to see Where I have been reading.


One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May DoddOne Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Though I have read other reviewers say this book was unlikable or unbelievable, I liked it. I also found that although I know the story is fiction, I could believe the events. Maybe it stems from growing up in the region. I know the Black Hills, Ft Laramie, Ft Robinson, the Tongue River, the Big Horn Mountains. I have visited museums and historical sites that show that the Cheyenne, the Sioux, the Crow all lived in the place I call home.

I grew up listening to the Dakota Sioux at Pow Wow in the Black Hills. I have seen the native dress and watched the native dancers.

I loved the pictures that Jim Fegus painted of the wildlife and the landscape. The descriptive words of the Indians and the treatment of the very real emotions that the White Women experienced.

This book was recommended to me by several friends and they did not steer me wrong.


View all my reviews


Until Next Time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy






One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd
is set in the late 1800 in Nebraska and Dakota Territory. The places mentioned in the story are in what is now Wyoming. 

2 comments:

  1. Hopping over from the What's In a Name Challenge. Looks like a good choice for the challenge -- glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on completing the number written in letters category! This sounds like it was the perfect book for you (and I have to say the cover is lovely).

    ReplyDelete